Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex - hard plumbed PVC backwards ... anyone else?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex - hard plumbed PVC backwards ... anyone else?

I don't have pictures to share yet .... will try to upload them tonight.

We hard-plumbed our pool with 1.5" PVC and since we intend to add a skimmer in the next 30-45 days (no enough nerve yet) and not wanting to end up with 3 holes, we went ahead & "reversed" the holes. Meaning, the "higher" hole is suppose to be the return and the "lower" one being the "suction". but instead we used the higher one for the suction (will become the skimmer) and the lower one for the return.

Anyone else done this? Anything we're going to regret?
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex - hard plumbed PVC backwards ... anyone else?

As long as you keep a good check on the water level it will be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't see as it makes much difference which you use as suction, as long as water level is high enough. Honestly, I would prefer my suction to be plumbed with a good through wall skimmer, and a very low suction, with throttling valves on both or a three way valve to balance the flow from each.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Charlie_R,

Just want to be sure I understand ... you're saying your preference would be to have 3 holes altogether ... 1 return + 2 suctions (one skimmer & one very low)?

BTW - THANKS for your posts about hard plumbing the Intex. It helped us a GREAT deal!!
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually, when I do hard plumb my pool this summer, I will be putting in two returns as well as the through wall skimmer and suction port. I plan on closing the original holes provided by Intex, with patches inside and out.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.