Intex w/Hayward Sand Filter no skimmer - how to vacuum ?

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Our pool has about a foot to go and it will be full :party:

Water has been running (except for when we go to bed) since Sat morning so it's slow going but almost there! Hard plumbed PVC, pump & filter were all set up yesterday. Electrical being finished today (since we got rain both Sat & Sun we're behind). I promise to post pictures shortly.....

As much as we planned, anticipated, bought an upgraded filter / pump, etc, I am now finding things I didn't consider - vacuuming being one of them.

The pool came with the Intex "attach to the waterhose" vacuum. From looking at the instructions I have no clue how it's suppose to work. I was hoping to at least use this until we can get some basics figured out over the next 30 days. I'm thinking by then, the pool will have "settled" all it's going to, we will hopefully have gotten up the nerve to cut in a skimmer, and from there can buy a true vacuum.

Does this plan seem crazy? If not, can someone tell me how in the world to use this vacuum? If I hook my waterhose to it, and then turn on my waterhose, won't it then shoot water in my pool. I am fairly intelligent (we just setup this 26' pool with a real pump + filter) but I can't figure out this simple Fisher Price looking Intex vacuum to save my life.

Many thanks!

You actually did figure it out! :-\
The flow from the hose creates a vortex that sucks the debris into the bag. And yes, it adds water to the pool. However, if you plan correctly, you can use that water to replace evaporation.

Bama Rambler ... thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense.

I already have stuff on the bottom and since we have just set it up "evaporation" hasn't yet occurred. So it sounds like I should go ahead & use this vacuum while the hose is running to fill up the last 6" or so of the pool. Does this sound reasonable?

Anything else I'm missing ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.