Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dogs and Vinyl Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Dogs and Vinyl Covers

Do they make any products for dogs like boots or something that would allow them to get into the pool without any risk of tearing the liner with their claws? I have an 85 lb labradoodle and he really wants to jump in and I am really scared he might puncture the brand new liner. Thoughts?
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dogs and Vinyl Covers

What type of stairs do you have?

They do make dog boots.

They also make glue on nail "covers"
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

I have vinyl stairs built into my inground pool, sorry should have mentioned that. Wondering if anyone has every used the water boots or knows of a good brand, if not no worries!
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Labs have webbed feet so they can swim.

I am not sure how the feet on your labradoodle ended up, but in saying that I believe the poodle is one of the most intelligent breeds of dogs there is & I know the labs we had through the years we super intelligent ~ we were Duck Dynasty at my house before Duck Dynasty was cool My Dad and his beard raised several duck dogs. We also had an IGP ~ show the dog the ladder and you should be fine. I would not cover his/her feet as they need those feet to keep their head above water. We never lost a liner to a dog. Multiple times to deer, but never our dog or the blind neighbors dog who would find it's way across the road through the front & back yard to the pool.

They also make pool ramps for dogs.

Make sure if you allow the dog in pool ~ the pool area is secure when you aren't around because if it enjoys the swim it takes with you it will most likely enjoys swims at its leisure if pool security allows it to enter.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

5. Back To Top    #5

We've had several sets of dog shoes over the years. They all had one thing in common.....the dogs HATED them. Seriously!

Might i suggest trying some kids socks on the dog first, and see if you can get him to wear them. In fact, kids socks might work BETTER! The boots are form fitting and that was part of the problem.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Ruffwear makes some great dog boots. They're not slippery on the bottom and hold up well. As far as the dog not liking the boots. They all get used to them. For the first few times, the dog will walk around a bit crazy, but we've had no issues with a Great Dane and a German Shepherd.

Got ours from REI. Prior to this, we tried other dog boots but this is the brand we've had most success with.
    14x42 Intex Ultra Metal Frame approx 4,000gal

7. Back To Top    #7

I am not sure how well the dogs would be able to swim with the boots on, on a side note I have never had problems with dogs doing damage to the liner, my photo shows my 120 pound mastiff walking down the insert steps to the pool (usually it is more of a leap down the stairs)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

@ the1jake: has your dog used these to swim with?

I agree I am a bit concerned that he will not be able to swim once we get the boots on. However, if I buy from REI and he cant I can just return them.