Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sediment in the bottom of an otherwise clear pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Republic, WA

Sediment in the bottom of an otherwise clear pool

I've been a BBB pool person for over 10 years. Rarely have a problem, and I can usually find the answer here if I do.

Search engine isn't giving me a terrible efficient list of potential answers to this one, so I need to open a new topic.

I have a vinyl lined in ground pool, 25,000gal, with a Hayward s-200 sand filter with Zeobrite (put in about 4 years ago).

Pool water is very clear and balanced, until I brush it...

No mater how much I brush or vacuum, it won't clear, until I turn it off and leave it for about 12 hours. So I'm sure I'm dealing with a filter issue.

So, here is my question:

Do I try a chemical filter cleaner first, and if so, what type of product or chemical name am I looking for? (Zeobrite talks about a salt-regeneration, but I've seen somewhere on the forum not to do that).

Do I try reducing "channeling" with a garden hose in the filter, and how do I do that?

Or is there another first step to making checking for filter issues?

18X32' in ground, vinyl lined, 25,000 gallons, Hayward S-200 sand filter with Zeolite, heated by the sun with coils of black pipe on the pump house roof

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Sediment in the bottom of an otherwise clear pool

Have you regenerated the media according to the mfgs instructions?
    If you haven't, that'd be the first thing I'd do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit