Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie question about vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie question about vacuuming

I've got some fine sand/dirt that settles to the bottom overnight and the Polaris seems to just stir it up rather than pick it up. So I'd like to vacuum it, but I've never used a pool vac before.
    I've got a vacuum head and hose but no adapter plate that fits over the skimmer basket. There are two holes in the skimmer, and I'm assuming that the vac hose will fit into one. Do I leave the filter in filter mode or put it on "waste"? The pool guy said to put it on waste, but I didn't think I would need to do that every time when there is only a little bit of debris. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie question about vacuuming

I made an adaptor so the hose fits better in the suction hole, but otherwise, you are correct. The filter can handle some dirt - that's why it's there.

Set the head in and then push the hose down slowly a length at a time to push out the air and fill it with water, then hook it up and go. Sneak up on the dirt - let the suction pull the dirt into the vacuum ahead of the head.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I'm just nervous about breaking something
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I like to hold the end of the vacuum hose in front of a return to blow the air out and then move it to the skimmer drain. Just put your hand over the end as you transfer out of the pool and into the skimmer then the hose should seat itself in the hole.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I just tried it and something is not right. There are two holes in the skimmer. A big one with suction, and a small one that doesn't seem to have any suction. The end of the vac hose fits in the small hole. If I put it in the big one, it feels like it's going to suck the hose in - the diameter of the hole is larger than the hose. I suppose I need one of those adapter plates. Not sure how the previous owner vacuumed without one...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog
    Ok, I just tried it and something is not right. There are two holes in the skimmer. A big one with suction, and a small one that doesn't seem to have any suction. The end of the vac hose fits in the small hole. If I put it in the big one, it feels like it's going to suck the hose in - the diameter of the hole is larger than the hose. I suppose I need one of those adapter plates. Not sure how the previous owner vacuumed without one...
    A vacuum plate won;t help - that other holse likely leads to the main drain. It will be less work to draw a fairly short distance from the drain through straight pipes than through a lengthy corrugated twisted hose.

I bought a plastic sink tailpiece for about two bucks and screwed it into a threaded coupling I already had. Fits snug, keeps the hose out of the suction port. Measure the hole and the hose and go browse the plumbing aisle.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I just wrapped duck tape around the end of mime until it was snug in the skimmer.
    28x52 In ground, former cement pond (really) about 43.5k gallons
    Hayward EcoStar VS pump
    Hayward Pro Grid DE7220 DE filter
    Pool Pilot Digital 220 with the SC60 cell,
    4 returns, 3 skimmers and 2 bottom drains
    Raypak Rheem PMHP 8300TI 137k btu heat pump
    Liquid Solar blanket
    Aquabot T4 Turbo RC.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't understand. (Probably making it way too complicated)
    You said you keep the hose out of the suction port - so how does the vacuum suck?
    I like the idea of being able to vacuum with the skimmer basket in place, if needed for larger detritus.

9. Back To Top    #9

you need to make an adapter for your hose
    That's what Richard is saying
    Get a piece of pvc to fit the suction hole then step it down to fit your vac hose
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

10. Back To Top    #10

Try putting the hose in the large hole with the pump off to see how it seats. If it bottoms out then try it with the pump on and after you have filled the hose with water from a return. Mine swallows the cuff about halfway and no more--then it vacuums just fine with no plate and no adapter. The suction seals it perfectly. If your PO did it without either one, odds are it works that way on yours, too.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

11. Back To Top    #11

A picture's worth a thousand words

[attachment=0:38e5f5zi]Dsc04092.jpg[/attachment:38e5f5zi]
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I'll try it again when I get the nerve lol. And thanks so much for the picture Richard!
    Sorry a couple more questions -
    When I stuck the vac hose down in and it got a good seal, my wife said the vac head was sucking so hard she could barely move it. Is that normal?
    Also, in the same situation, the pump changed sounds like it was struggling. Kind of like when you are using a regular vacuum cleaner and something blocks the tube. Is it normal for the pump to sound different?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I'll try it again when I get the nerve lol. And thanks so much for the picture Richard!
    Sorry a couple more questions -
    When I stuck the vac hose down in and it got a good seal, my wife said the vac head was sucking so hard she could barely move it. Is that normal?
    Also, in the same situation, the pump changed sounds like it was struggling. Kind of like when you are using a regular vacuum cleaner and something blocks the tube. Is it normal for the pump to sound different?
    Yep, that's normal. At least for me. When the head sticks, don't try pushing it off; you'll just bend the pole. Ask me how I know. Pull it off.

If you have a separate valve for the floor drain, you can open it a little to reduce the suction. Or you could try cutting a slot or drilling a hole in the adaptor to allow some suction that way, which will reduce the head sticking to the floor.

14. Back To Top    #14

My Kreepy Krauly has a little tee by the connection with a rubber cap with slits in it to reduce the vacuum. Comes with two different rubber caps to adjust the vacuum.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter