taylor test kit

Jun 17, 2013
have a kit that is a couple years old. Have ordered all new reagents. In the meantime with the Taylor, test for CYA reads around 60 and new test strips read zero. Do the reagents for CYA go bad after several years?

What the test strip makers aren't telling the consumer: Test strip reagents have a short shelf life. More often than not, they are close to if not past the useful life by the time you buy them. This would be why they are unreliable. The dried reagents oxidize fairly quickly, even in the "sealed" container.

Charlie_R said:
What the test strip makers aren't telling the consumer: Test strip reagents have a short shelf life. More often than not, they are close to if not past the useful life by the time you buy them. This would be why they are unreliable. The dried reagents oxidize fairly quickly, even in the "sealed" container.

Didnt want to buy the strips but I have ordered the new reagents and not sure how long it will take to get here. But for now my CYA is low and I didnt know if I could rely on the old test.

I just found some 4-year old CYA strips in my pool box...not sure where they came from because I've had the Taylor CYA upgrade longer than that. Anyway, before I threw them out I gave one a dip, just for laughs. Zero color change and I know my CYA is 35, both by knowing what went into the pool since I opened with zero and recent testing with the Taylor. Old strips are worthless.

scott.MI said:
I think the CYA reagent is the one least likely to go bad. I think I read that in some other posts. Now I'm not saying it doesn't go bad because that, I don't know, just saying I'm pretty sure it lasts the longest

True. The CYA reagent is inert and should be good for a long time ... although you have not stated how you have stored your kit.

If it's any help...
I have a gallon jug of CYA reagent ordered by mistake (meant to get a 16oz). After two years and numerous weeks of being kept in the back of a too-hot work van, the contents still give me identical test results to brand new bottles. (I recently ordered 8 all-new K-2006 test kits to replace the aging little-used reagents and get new cells, compared against those...)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.