Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new Hayward Max-Flo VS making squeaking noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new Hayward Max-Flo VS making squeaking noise

I just installed (3 days ago) a brand new Hayward Max Flo VS pump. The pump is great and I love the ability to adjust the water flow on a whim. Here is my issue I noticed this morning when I went to turn the pump on. When the pump first starts it has a slight squeak for about 5 seconds. It does it as it ramps up from 0 rpm through about 800 rpm then stops and sounds perfectly normal. It also does it when you shut it down but it only does it for about 2 seconds on shutdown. The squeak is not that loud but you can hear it. I am trying to find out if this is normal for the variable flow pumps or if I need to contact Hayward for this issue.

Thanks
    Foxx Pool, Kidney, 17x29, 17.5k gallons, Findlay 30mil Liner, Hayward Max-Flo VS, GE digital timer, (2) Pentair diverter valves, Hayward Star Clear Plus 175sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 3/4hp Booster pump (back-up), Polaris 280 cleaner (back-up), Dolphin DX3 robot, CircuPool RJ45 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new Hayward Max-Flo VS making squeaking noise

That issue has been reported before. I don't remember if Hayward has a fix for it but it doesn't hurt anything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Brand new Hayward Max-Flo VS making squeaking noise

Thanks Bama for the quick reply. I am going to see how it goes over the next couple of days. I added 11 bags of salt to the pool (in the shallow end, not the skimmer) yesterday and it started making the sound shortly this morning. Not sure if they are connected but we will see.

Thanks again.
    Foxx Pool, Kidney, 17x29, 17.5k gallons, Findlay 30mil Liner, Hayward Max-Flo VS, GE digital timer, (2) Pentair diverter valves, Hayward Star Clear Plus 175sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 3/4hp Booster pump (back-up), Polaris 280 cleaner (back-up), Dolphin DX3 robot, CircuPool RJ45 SWCG