Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter, hose, vacuum??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter, hose, vacuum??

Hi! Fairly new here, been lurking a few weeks though and I have learned a lot of valuable information. This site is great! We bought an 18x48 Intex ultra frame pool last month and have had it set up since then. This is our first pool so we really did not know anything about pool maintenance. We wanted to start with the intex as a "starter/test" pool and plan to upgrade to an AGP in a couple of years. Since we have had the pool set up, the tests are good, water/chemicals are balanced, pool looks great and water is clear. However, we are still using the little 1500 pump that came with the pool and after reading several posts we are afraid that it just isn't going to cut it in the long run, not to mention the paper cartridge costs. So, we are upgrading to the 2650 gph intex sand filter pump. My question is, what type of vacuum and hose do we need to get? I have researched Amazon and read reviews and I'm still a bit unsure. We are using the vacuum that came with the pool right now, the one that hooks to the garden hose. But we want one that vacuums through the filter since we are upgrading. Recommendations or advice?
    Intex 18'x48" Ultra Frame - Approx. 6,300 gallons
    2650 Intex Sand Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Pool filter, hose, vacuum??

Just get a good manual vacuum and hose. You can buy them almost anywhere.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to what Bama said. And, get yourself something like this: Hayward Leaf Canister

It plugs in line between your skimmer & your vac hose. Does an amazing job. Before I got it, I had to vac to waste or dirty water found it's way back into the pool. Now, I vac on filter and the water stays sparkly!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

S. California

The standard Intex vacuum & hose that comes in their maintenance kit will also work just fine, and comes with the threaded adapter to connect the hose to your Intex suction fitting.

Here is an example:

Good luck !
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner