Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wet Niche wiring Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Wet Niche wiring Question

I just bought a home with a great pool that is wired and lit. The previous owner cut one of the lights out because he said he could pull the cord out. Well, yesterday I grabbed the cut light cord and the green AWG bond wire and pulled them out rather easily. I was abe to run a snake through the conduit from the j-box to the wet niche. Now the question/problem. The green AWG bond wire is about 80 feet long and I can get it back to the j-box, however, about 3 feet from the potted connection, the insulation has separated about a quarter inch, revealing the bare strands. The wire itself is perfect with no cuts strands so it looks like an issue when they were tugging on it. So my question is simply, can I seal the bare wire with something and be on my merry way or do I really have to drain, pull another wire and then pot again? It seems to me that there is no guarantee that the potted connection is waterproof so I really can't understand why i couldn't just seal the bare wire. I am not talking about a splice, which I know is a no-no.

Thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wet Niche wiring Question

Is the insulation break on the wet or dry side of the seal?
    Can you get a piece of heat shrink over it?
    Also since it's insulated, it's a ground wire and not a bond wire.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Technically, no. You should use new wire with fully intact insulation. On the other hand, if you can make a good waterproof seal . . .
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks on the quick replies and education on bond vs. ground. Yes, I can get shrink wrap over if i did repair it that way the repair would be laying in the water in the conduit.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you used filled heat shrink it'll be waterproof.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit