Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar blanket and running filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar blanket and running filter

We have the Intex 16x32 with a SWG and the horrible stock skimmer (next year we plan on doing the skimmer through the wall) but until then I have a question. Our solar blanket arrived and we built and installed the PVC holder this weekend. I like to run my pump 12 hours and the SWG about 4. When do I run the filter? With the blanket on will the skimmer just get clogged with blanket? Do I remove the skimmer?
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar blanket and running filter

I run our pump with the stock skimmer on. You can cut the cover to fit around the skimmer, but what I did was fold it back and then took a hanger that you get baby clothing on that has the two clips on the bottom that hold the pants (ones with no metal parts) and clipped that on the cover to hold it back. I put the hook part of the hanger on the side of the skimmer opposite the return so that it keeps the cover from spinning with the flow of the water. It works for keeping the cover out of the skimmer, but it does keep the skimmer from actually skimming stuff off the water that is trapped under the cover. If I plan on using the pool I try to take the cover off and hour or so early and run the pump to skim off any debris or just do it by hand if I don't want to wait that long.
    16'x48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex 2650gph Sand Filter Pump
    Intex SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar blanket and running filter

With the cover on you will not need the skimmer so much. I don't use the skimmer at all.