Did I install my SWG cell backwards?

Apr 30, 2013
After many false starts and lots of work, we finally got our AGP up and running this weekend. We have a Hayward Aqua Trol RJ SWG, and as they direct for system start-up, I ran the pump for 24 hours without turning on the cell. Then I switched the cell on yesterday evening. When I tested before turning the cell on, my FC was .6 ppm from the bleach I had been adding. This morning, the FC was 1.8 ppm, so I know it was producing chlorine.

When I was looking at the manual for the SWG to remind myself what the different diagnostic numbers are, I noticed that their illustration looked … upside-down when compared to mine. It is just a crude installation, but I am paranoid after all the trouble we have had. I wish pool and pool equipment manufacturer's would invest some time in making their manuals and guides understandable.

Here is an image I grabbed online and marked up. The red arrow is pointing to the end I have attached to the elbow at the return jet. The blue arrow indicates the flow of water through the cell. Is my cell on upside-down?

KRiFJGw.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

The cell works the same regardless of which direction water flows. In fact my manual suggests that you reverse it each time it's removed for cleaning.

• Wow
Reactions: geempool
Just took a peek at the manual. The RJ does not require a flow switch (since any gas generated if the cell was on with the pump off would just exit the jet) and it just uses the same T-cell design as the other systems. So as cheifwej said, does not matter and would not hurt to switch it around each time you look at it.

If the cell required a specific directional flow it would be marked and have flow direction arrow on it.

I initially had ours in the opposite direction from the image you drew the arrows on because the illustration in the manual shows it like that. Then I got to looking at the unit and the serial number label was upside down. Got to looking closer at the unit and realized that the cover over the end with the cable didn't seem sealed along the bottom edge and it could possibly get water up under there. Then I got to looking closer at the illustrations in the manual for the models with a flow sensor and they have it going also like you've drawn. So I decided to reverse it where the cable now comes out on the top now and the label is right side up. I think that is the way it is supposed to be installed simply due to the fact that water can't get inside the cable end as easily in that configuration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.