Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB Believer, Using Pucks for the first time

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB Believer, Using Pucks for the first time

Let me first start by saying, I have been using Bleach to chlorine my pool since start up since March 2013. Having great results.

FC: 3 - 5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 70
    CH: 260
    CYA: 35
    CSI: 0 - .03
    POOL TEMP: avg.88
    AIR TEMP: avg.95

My PB left me with a bucket of Chlorine Pucks (never used them), Since my CYA is close to the low side I thought I would try it. Well, I start using the pucks yesterday (sat.).
    My pump runs for 8 hrs a day 1100 - 1900, 5hrs low speed 1100-1600, 3hrs high speed 1600-1900.

SATURDAY
    1630 - FC: 2.5 CYA: 35
    1700 - installed 7 pucks in cylinder, turn dial to setting #4

SUNDAY
    1300 - FC: 1.5, turn dial to setting #4.5 (pump running on low speed)
    1600 - FC: 1.5 (pump just started on high speed)
    1900 - FC: 2.0, turn dial to max setting #5 (pump finished on high speed)

Since pump shuts off at 1900, no since checking FC after 1900 when pump is not running.
    Will check tomorrow on FC results, and check this weekend for CYA level. The pucks doesn't look like its going to keep my FC high enough for my likings And I wonder what my CYA level going to be this weekend? I check FC/PH everyday, and check CC/TA/CH/CYA every weekend.

Anyone having good luck with FC & CYA using the pucks, or should I sale them in a garage sale?

Thanks, John
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB Believer, Using Pucks for the first time

Those pucks are always useful for vacations and weekends away during pool season.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

How many would you recommend adding if you were going away for a weekend? We have a SWG.
    Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lizt111
    How many would you recommend adding if you were going away for a weekend? We have a SWG.
    Thanks!
    If you have a SWG you don't need pucks or chlorine. Well, maybe keep a couple jugs of bleach around for a boost if you have a party or something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I had some leftover pucks and used them to raise my CYA instead of buying stabilizer.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I check FC/PH everyday, and check CC/TA/CH/CYA every weekend.
    Wow did you buy gallon size container of the CYA reagent?
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizt111
    Thanks!
    If you have a SWG you don't need pucks or chlorine. Well, maybe keep a couple jugs of bleach around for a boost if you have a party or something.

Thanks! I thought I might need to add the pucks if we were going to be gone for 2-3 days.

8. Back To Top    #8

The whole reason I have an SWG is so that I NEVER (pretty much) have to WORRY about FC. I just got home from being gone 4 weeks on the road. pH was high, but FC was perfect.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by scott.MI
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I check FC/PH everyday, and check CC/TA/CH/CYA every weekend.
    Wow did you buy gallon size container of the CYA reagent?
    I'm still using what I have from the TF-100 kit, 15ml pool water mixed with 15ml cya agent.
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

well, its 1800 Monday evening, time to check FC & PH. FC: 1.5 / PH: 7.7. PUCKS SUCKS

I'm not getting my FC Target of 5 (for CYA 35), I'm not even getting my minimum target of 3 with the pucks.
    I had to go to my bleach and add 74 oz. to meet my target of 5. I'm sure the In-line feeder is working, or I wouldn't even get a reading of 1.5. It has water and the dial is at max. setting at 5.

I just wanted to check out the puck system since we will be gone 5 days during the 4th. I'm not impressed at all with that system.(automatic chlorine in-line feeder)

Any Thoughts?

John