Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: de in pool when vacuuming to waste after replacing grids

1. Back To Top    #1

de in pool when vacuuming to waste after replacing grids

hi,

entire filter replaced last year, de stays in fliter when multiport is set to filter. when multiport set to waste, de flows into return lines. Pool company said grids need to be replaced, made repair, same result. then pool company said manifold needed to be replaced, made repair, same result.

it seems unbelievable to me that the pool company doesn't test after repair. Anyhow, any ideas would be appreciated.
    37x20, 28,300 gallon gunite, irregularly shaped, hayward 1.5 super pump, hayward 4820 DE filter, northeast geo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: de in pool when vacuuming to waste after replacing grids

That sounds like a problem with the multi-port valve. If it was a problem with the filter you would get DE in the pool even when filtering.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: de in pool when vacuuming to waste after replacing grids

thank you so much for your reply! this started me thinking that the pool company was not communicating the problem to the pool techs. I called this morning and asked them what they thought was the problem:

"de in your pool when turning on the filter". So they were testing, but they didn't understand the problem. On the phone, they came to the same conclusion, a multiport problem and they're coming out today to fix.

thanks again!
    37x20, 28,300 gallon gunite, irregularly shaped, hayward 1.5 super pump, hayward 4820 DE filter, northeast geo