Spa draining while pump is on, and off

Jun 23, 2013
Split from post524227.html#p524227
okay, but you should not post your problem on another poster's thread. :wink: Butterfly

I'm having a similar type of problem. It's an older pool, and after living here about a month, I read the instructions (left by the previous owner) on how to turn on the bubbles to the spa. I did so, but then noticed that the spa was emptying. I turned off the water, and the water kept going down. I refilled it, of course, and it seemed it still went down when the pool filter was working. Never got better, and I'm now trying to fish for ideas. Also, I don't know what a plumbing pad is, but I've taken pics of the spa (no controls) and the plumbing that's in the 'pool house'. Tell me if any of this helps (Or, if you tell me what a plumbing pad is, I'll send a picture of it if I can find it). Need help!! Thanks. - Divers2 in Fort Worth, Texas

Attachments

• spa.jpg
    spa.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 24
  • pool-room1.jpg
    pool-room1.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 24
  • valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 24
Hi, welcome to TFP! The plumbing pad is the area where all the pool plumbing connects to the pool equipment, so in your case your plumbing pad is in your 'pool house'. You may need to install a check valve after the pool filter to prevent the water from draining back into the pool.

It looks to me like you have the suction split 50/50 to pool and spa.

Time to figure out what goes where and label things, like this:

file.php

That's an old picture...when i carefully balanced input and output so the spa would circulate. I've since abandoned that practive, and draw 100% from pool and return about 20% to the spa to let it spill over.

When it's vacuum time, I reverse things and empty the spa into the pool and brush the spa debris away when it gets really low, then reverse it while I vacuum. IO can usually finish vacuuming before the spa overflows, which eliminates any croiss currents from the pool returns. It makes it really easy to see what I'm doing with no movement in the pool. And then I reset things to draw from pool and partially return to the spa.

The handle on the valve indicates where the water goes. The triangular part shows what is blocked off. So you need to turn it so that blocks the spa intake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.