Leveling with sand

Jun 23, 2013
I have a 22ft intex ultra frame pool. My yard is 19" out of level. Instead of digging 50 tons of dirt I am building a box to level up with the high point of the yard. My question is, why cant you use sand to level? will it damage the pool or cause it to collapse? or sink? I posted same question a little bit ago but it never showed up, guess I messed the post up. sorry if it shows up twice.

Leveling with sand is never recommended because it can't be compacted. It's also not recommended to build up to level a pool. That pool, when full, will weigh about 100,000 lbs. You'd have to build an enormously sturdy "box" in order to hold that much weight safely.

The built up soil will compact, and it will do so unevenly. Any significant buildup of soil under the pool will cause problems eventually unless you give it a year or two to settle on it's own. Sand is even worse, as it will continue to move over time

Oh, I never realized it wouldn't compact. I did however take the weight into consideration. I am looking at using 4x4 every 4' and planted about 24 inches down, with deadman braces every 3'. But it looks like I will have to find some clay and soil or something that will pack good enough. Thanks for the info on the sand, and if you have any input on my ideas for the box, im all ears. Thanks again

like they said, no sand to level! i feel your pain, i had to hand dig out about 12-14 inches of soil for my 18 ft intex. took me a week working 2-3 hours a day. i didnt use any sand at all, you dont have to use it with an intex pool. just made dang sure ground was free of sticks, rocks, and any other debris then put down ground cloth.

my father in law put in a 26x52 intex, leveled it, then put 4 inches of sand to protect liner and give soft floor. sand settled after a month and his pool is off level by 2~3 inches. looks like Crud. sand wont compact, dont use it at all on intex pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.