Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leveling with sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Leveling with sand

I have a 22ft intex ultra frame pool. My yard is 19" out of level. Instead of digging 50 tons of dirt I am building a box to level up with the high point of the yard. My question is, why cant you use sand to level? will it damage the pool or cause it to collapse? or sink? I posted same question a little bit ago but it never showed up, guess I messed the post up. sorry if it shows up twice.
    20k, IG, Sand,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leveling with sand

Leveling with sand is never recommended because it can't be compacted. It's also not recommended to build up to level a pool. That pool, when full, will weigh about 100,000 lbs. You'd have to build an enormously sturdy "box" in order to hold that much weight safely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The built up soil will compact, and it will do so unevenly. Any significant buildup of soil under the pool will cause problems eventually unless you give it a year or two to settle on it's own. Sand is even worse, as it will continue to move over time
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, I never realized it wouldn't compact. I did however take the weight into consideration. I am looking at using 4x4 every 4' and planted about 24 inches down, with deadman braces every 3'. But it looks like I will have to find some clay and soil or something that will pack good enough. Thanks for the info on the sand, and if you have any input on my ideas for the box, im all ears. Thanks again
    20k, IG, Sand,

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, from the sounds of it I need to call in a favor from a buddy with a backhoe. LOL... Thanks guys, I will scrap my idea of the box. sounded good at the time.. LOL
    20k, IG, Sand,

6. Back To Top    #6

The only input I have on the (box) is that if you're serious about it, have a civil/structural engineer design it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL.. Thanks for all the help.... the more I have heard, the more my box has become a bad idea... Ill get a backhoe and start digging.
    20k, IG, Sand,

8. Back To Top    #8

like they said, no sand to level! i feel your pain, i had to hand dig out about 12-14 inches of soil for my 18 ft intex. took me a week working 2-3 hours a day. i didnt use any sand at all, you dont have to use it with an intex pool. just made dang sure ground was free of sticks, rocks, and any other debris then put down ground cloth.

my father in law put in a 26x52 intex, leveled it, then put 4 inches of sand to protect liner and give soft floor. sand settled after a month and his pool is off level by 2~3 inches. looks like ****. sand wont compact, dont use it at all on intex pool
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!