Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy water!! HELP!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water!! HELP!!!

Hello..it rained a few times over the last weeks...... Yesterday I noticed that my pool water is cloudy (chalky white)I check the chlorine and found that it is zero my stabilizer is at 50, with PH 7.2, and total alkalinity of 180

Today I took a water sample to the pool shop and they told me I have high ammonia and they recommended that I shocked my pool With a total of 25 pounds... And to do it by 5 pounds every three hours. So far I have 10 pounds of shock added to the pool and five hours later I noticed that chlorine level is still zero.

I called the lady that always comes to clean my pool and she told me I might have water mold!!!
    And she recommended that she comes to add an enzyme to the pool change my Filter sand and do nice scrubbing.....
    I am not sure which one to go with as I got two conflicting information from both places can you please help with your experience thank you very much in advance
    23k gallon in ground Vinyl liner. With attached spa. Pentair ic40 swg, 2 hp whisper flow single speed pump, 500 gallon pentair sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water!! HELP!!!

Ammonia is possible, but more likely it's just the beginnings of an algae bloom.

I see you've been a member for over a year. You still don't have a test kit? Because the first thing we need are trustworthy test results.

And actually, whether it's ammonia, algae, or mold, the solution is the same: The Shock Process
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply... I have a test kit but it Doesn't have ammonia algae or mold testing
    Free chlorine zero
    Stabilizer 50
    Alkalinity 180
    PH 7.2
    Total hardiness 300

Shall I put all 25 pounds at the same time or follow the store instruction putting 5 pounds every three hours?
    Thanks
    23k gallon in ground Vinyl liner. With attached spa. Pentair ic40 swg, 2 hp whisper flow single speed pump, 500 gallon pentair sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

No you shouldn't add that!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't let them change your sand either! Total baloney!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of enzyme? I'd love to hear that first hand....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not sure what enzyme she should be coming in the morning to show me and tell me about it

So from your answer shall I put the rest of the 15 pounds altogether or not?

8. Back To Top    #8

No you shouldn't add it. What is it? Specifically?

You need to go through the shock process using bleach only.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

So for the shock the store said I have 25 lb "shock demand"
    I already put 10 lb shock (5lb then 3 hrs later another 5lb) then rechecked chlorine it's still zero!!!

Shall I put all the 15 lb shock left all together? Or continue to put 6 lb every three hours?
    Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorA
    So for the shock the store said I have 25 lb "shock demand"
    I already put 10 lb shock (5lb then 3 hrs later another 5lb) then rechecked chlorine it's still zero!!!

Shall I put all the 15 lb shock left all together? Or continue to put 6 lb every three hours?
    Thanks
    You need to decide if you will follow our suggestion The Shock Process or the pool store. Ours is to test and add appropriate amounts when needed. Theirs is to dump wildly with no regard for what the readings are at the time.

You're trying to mix two contradictory philosophies and it won't work. Pick one.

[center:1pfby2r6][/center:1pfby2r6]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks!!
    I will follow your suggestion, add and retest
    Will update with results tomorrow
    Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

So far every time I add 5 lb shock, I test the water an hour later and it shows good chlorine but couple hours later it goes back to zero.... So far used 15 lb shock and I'm at zero chlorine!!! My stabilizer also is now showing low on the test strip!!!

Any idea anyone what's going on??
    Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks!!
    Thanks

We need:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Also, I suggest you go back up and read Richard's post again. Go to Pool School and follow our Shock Process.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

What is in that "shock" product? Ingredients listed on the label. Chances are it is a diluted form of dichlor if dry. Might be 10% or 12% sodium hypochlorite if wet -- higher concentrated bleach......at very high prices.

Shock is NOT a product!!!!! It is a PROCESS!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks!!
    Thanks

You didn't follow the suggestions here by adding more "shock" after people told you not to add it.

As was stated earlier you need to choose between the people here (all with clear pools and nothing to sell you) or the pool store.

Read this post ..

need-help-after-being-pool-stored-t63544.html

He had issues, followed the advice he was given and is now swimming happily
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

17. Back To Top    #17

I followed the shock process here and in the morning found
    FC: zero
    CYA: zero
    PH:7.0
    TA:180
    Hardiness: 300

I added 100 oz "pool perfect"
    Which started clearing the pool, also had my pool guy put filter cleaner directly in my sand filter (Regal filter cleaner and degreaser and 1.5 lbs of shock).... Put it on recirculate I then back washed three hours later, and out it on "filter"......
    Then this morning shocked with 15 lb sodium dichloro-s-truZinetrione..... It made a white cloud in top of of the pool but is starting to clear up now

I'm super frustrated... Used the pool school way here didn't work and I'm following the pool guy way which I'm not sure if its working but what he told me is that the only thing to bring my FC AND CYA DOWN TO ZERO IS MOLD!!!!

Helllllpppppp!!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

1. Order a TF100 or K-2006 test kit today. It is the only way to accurately know what is going on with your pool.
    2. While waiting for kit, Read Pool School, Re-Read Pool School. Repeat as necessary.
    3. After getting kit, post test results here
    We need:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

4. Follow The Shock Process
    5. Keep posting test results here for more advice.

Your testing results are suspect, first post said stabilizer was 50, today, CYA is zero. This is impossible unless you completely drained and refilled your pool.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

19. Back To Top    #19

I followed the shock process here and in the morning found
    FC: zero
    CYA: zero
    PH:7.0
    TA:180
    Hardiness: 300

I added 100 oz "pool perfect"
    Which started clearing the pool, also had my pool guy put filter cleaner directly in my sand filter (Regal filter cleaner and degreaser and 1.5 lbs of shock).... Put it on recirculate I then back washed three hours later, and out it on "filter"......
    Then this morning shocked with 15 lb sodium dichloro-s-truZinetrione..... It made a white cloud in top of of the pool but is starting to clear up now

I'm super frustrated... Used the pool school way here didn't work and I'm following the pool guy way which I'm not sure if its working but what he told me is that the only thing to bring my FC AND CYA DOWN TO ZERO IS MOLD!!!!

Helllllpppppp!!!!
    If you followed the shock process then in the morning you would have immediately raised your chlorine levels back to your shock target using bleach.

If you put all that stuff in your filter, then placed it on recirculate, which bypasses the filter, and then Backwashed, what did you all expect the stuff to do?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

DocA,
    As it was said before, you must choose to either:
    1) service your own pool easily and inexpensively by learning how in Pool School
    OR
    2) you can spend a fortune on products and services through the store/service in your area, and likely still have problems.

For certain, you cannot mix the two or three methods.

Based on your posts, it appears you have not used the Pool School methods. In fact, you did what precisely what you were suggested not to do by forum members. Multiple times.

So, DocA, there's lots of knowledge and experience on this site. You are welcome to take advantage of it, if you wish. But first, you must answer this ONE very simple question:

Do you want to be personally responsible for the condition of your pool, or do you want someone else to be responsible?

If you wish to be responsible, this forum is the place to learn how.
    If you wish others (pool service & pool shop) to be responsible, then you must allow them complete control over your pool (and your wallet).

It seems you've seen the results of the latter, already.

A little learning, a little patience, a lot of self-confidence gained in the process. That's the TFP way.
    I hope you give yourself the chance.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast