Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: store chemicals and k-2006 in shed?

1. Back To Top    #1

store chemicals and k-2006 in shed?

so im having a brand new 10x10 wood shed w/ composite roof brought in next week that will be put down about 15-20 feet from pool for lawn equipment, riding tractor, etc. my pool is a ways away from house. i currently keep bleach on back porch in shade. k-2006 kit, borax and soda in wash room cabinet in house.

it sure would be nice to not have to walk back up to house several times a morning when doing my testing and chem adding. i have some nice metal shelving that i plan to put in building for chemicals and what not...

im sure bleach would be fine in shed (as said its on back porch now)

but what about borax and soda?

and most importantly my k-2006 test kit? no where does it say a storage temp. at 95-100 degress in oklahoma mid summer, it would be about 85ish probably in shed.

would my chems and kit be okay to store out there?

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: store chemicals and k-2006 in shed?

I keep my chemicals in a shed year-round. The test kit stays indoors and I just bring it out with me when it's test time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you go through your chemicals fast you won't have a problem. Bleach is the one most susceptible to heat and light. If you use it quickly, it won't have time to go bad.

As far as test kit goes I would NOT leave it not shed. You will drastically shorten the shelf life of the reagents and possibly affect your test results.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gtnos
    and most importantly my k-2006 test kit? no where does it say a storage temp. at 95-100 degress in oklahoma mid summer, it would be about 85ish probably in shed.

would my chems and kit be okay to store out there?
    I'd bet you it would get hotter than that in there. Also the temp swings are bad too. See link below.

Storage of your Taylor Test Kit
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks guys. chemicals in the shed, test kit will stay in laundry room. i dont stock bleach more than a month supply if even that, so i shouldnt have any issues with it going bad in heat.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure to keep MA and chlorine sources SEPARATED. They do not play well together.

You can set the MA jug in a 5 gal. bucket JIC it should leak.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Make sure to keep MA and chlorine sources SEPARATED. They do not play well together.

You can set the MA jug in a 5 gal. bucket JIC it should leak.

Beat me to it. I always like throwing that in. Bleach and acid mixing is bad, bad, bad!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem