Help please deciding which size pump to purchase

Jun 23, 2013
NC
Waves Hello to everyone. I'm new here. I found this site as I was searching for a new pump. I have been reading for several days off and on and am very interested in the BBB method of maintaining a pool, but to kick off my very 1st post... I need help on what size pump to get for our pool as ours burnt out the end of last year, and I now wonder if it was possibly too big for the sand filter. It was a Hayward 1.5 HP.

We have an 18x36 in-ground, vinyl liner(3.5' shallow end, 8' deep). Hayward Sand Filter, model S244T. I'm really not sure of gallons. A pool lady told me we have 23,000 gallons, but when I used the method online to determine, I came up with approx. 28,000. The sand filter noted above lists a flow rate of 62 GPM. All piping on the pool is 1 1/2". Average feet to head, I came up with 42' (give or take on that, as that was all new to me). :)

Knowing the above, do you think a 1 HP would work best for this system?

Greatly appreciate any help.
Many thanks!

Bama Rambler said:
A 1hp 2-speed pump is a good choice for your pool. Do you know what model pump you had?

Unfortunately, I do not know right at the moment. I think I still have it, but would have to check in the day time. It literally melted! Thank God I was home when it happened so I was able to power everything down in a hurry.

Thanks so much for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.