Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: best time to test / add chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

Newcastle, Oklahoma

best time to test / add chemicals?

well, other than that little mishap the other day with the new sandfilter shooting sand in my pool ive had 0 problems with my pool. here is my latest results as of 9 am today

pH - 7.6 (ranges from 7.6-7.8 daily without me doing anything)

FC - 3.5 (adding ~50 - 55oz of 8% daily to keep running pool around 9)

CC - zero every morning

CYA - 90 ( a little high i know, but pool is in full sun all day, and i plan on draining a bit in a week or so to put in hayward skimmer, so that will come down some when i refill)

CH - 70

TA - 100

i get up and test this pool every morning religously about 830-900 am with my K-2006 kit for FC, CC, and pH. i test every sunday for TA. today was first CH test. my pump runs 6 hours coming on at 8. i test, and add chemicals for the day.

pool is crystal clear.

do you guys test / add chem in morning or evening? or does it matter?

also, my TA has held solid 100 for near two weeks. thinking if it is 100 next sunday, i may start testing it every other week rather than weekly.

ill probably do CH test monthly

i realize what im doing is working, just curious.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: best time to test / add chemicals?

Everything you're doing sounds fine. Some people dose the bleach in the evening to delay breakdown in the sun until the next morning, but with a clean pool, it really doesn't matter.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mexico, MO

Personally, I test twice a day (I'm a bit OCD about the pool), and dose as needed in the evenings. Skimming, then brushing/vacuuming as needed in the AM.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    toronto, Ontario, Canada

once I get zeroed in I just test my CL daily.. and do a full test on the weekend.. my pool seems to take 1.5Ltrs of 12% CL every night. I leave for work at 5:30'ish every day so no time to do pool stuff in the AM.
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)