Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking to install a SWG...Which would you choose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking to install a SWG...Which would you choose?

Looking to install a SWG but I am clueless on which system to get and what advantages they each have. I want to be informed before approaching the sales folks. Can you tell me which system you would choose and why? Please let me know if I have left out any info in my signature below that you need to know about my pool. Thanks!
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking to install a SWG...Which would you choose?

If you need lots of automation any of the major mfgs have some pretty good units. If you're looking for a good basic unit that works well, check out the Compupool units.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, In terms of automation, what would that entail?
    I'm looking for a system that will maintain my Chlorine levels because I travel a lot and cannot afford the fluctuation I've had in my levels. They dip below acceptable and I get algae. So I am looking for something to ensure my Chl levels are sufficient. I am fairly ignorant about what automation would entail? Does it read the salt levels and adjust accordingly, does it just supply a constant stream without measuring, what else would it be looking at? Thanks and sorry for my education levels on the subject.
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor

4. Back To Top    #4

Automation is for things like switching valves, turning on and off lights, running a cleaner, etc.

For just keeping chlorine in your pool a basic unit is all you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Great! Thanks so much!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a circupool and just got back from a week in florida ..
    My pool was perfect when we got back ..
    I just had to get a friend to put water in 1 time .
    Thats a first , Love the SWG ... My pool was always a mess after vacation .
    Not anymore !!!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

7. Back To Top    #7

@mrswhitsie, I am curious if you did install a SWG, and if so, which one you chose? I have a pool slightly smaller than yours but similar and am looking to stabilize my Chl levels as well as I travel for work. Appreciate your insight...

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm looking for the same info. I was all for the autopilot nano+, but doing a search on "nano" brought up 5 users here on the forum with problems of them not working after a year. So the research continues.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

9. Back To Top    #9

You can find post of every system having problems . I just picked one !! So far
    So good .after 3 months... I did oversize my system , need 30k gallons bought 60k gallon system.
    You will need a good test kit , and keep everything ballanced . Per pool school .
    And i also got a phosphate test kit .
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by barts1971
    @mrswhitsie, I am curious if you did install a SWG, and if so, which one you chose? I have a pool slightly smaller than yours but similar and am looking to stabilize my Chl levels as well as I travel for work. Appreciate your insight...
    This is why I have a SWG. As said above, they all have their issues. I wanted just a very basic unit that was large enough to chlorinate my pool. The Compupool CPSC fit the bill for me. I did it all, including buying the CPSC48, PVC, $$$$ copper fittings (my pool is plumbed with copper pipe), all my salt (1300 lbs) all for less than $1000.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

I have been running my circupool rj-g 45 for 3 weeks now and have not had the first problem. it is a wonderful system that has kept my pool sparkling the whole time. i just made the switch to salt this year and can say with confidence that maintaining my pool has never been easier. i have not had to add the first chemical. i have been worried the last two weeks because it has rained everyday and i have just been waiting on the pool to turn but the generator has kept everything in line (so far). i am amazed how little work i have to put in. before the salt system i seemed to be in a constant battle with algae after rains like we have had in atlanta lately.
    Foxx Pool, Kidney, 17x29, 17.5k gallons, Findlay 30mil Liner, Hayward Max-Flo VS, GE digital timer, (2) Pentair diverter valves, Hayward Star Clear Plus 175sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 3/4hp Booster pump (back-up), Polaris 280 cleaner (back-up), Dolphin DX3 robot, CircuPool RJ45 SWCG

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the insights... 2 questions...
    1. My plaster is aged though not yet (I hope) in need of replacement. Will changing to a SWG and the change in water chemistry have any impact on the plaster?
    2. I use a pool maintenance company now, but one of my goals with installing a SWG is to be able to cancel them and maintain the pool myself. Is that a reasonable expectation? Is is easier, harder or the same as maintaining a traditional cholrine floater based pool?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

13. Back To Top    #13

My Jandy aquapure EI should be here today. Rated for a 35K gallon pool. At $450 I found it time to switch to SWG.
    http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02600002050919.htm
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

14. Back To Top    #14

It still requires some maintenance. You may need to add more acid than before. SWGs have a tendancy to cause pH to rise. I add about a gallon of MA each month and I have a small pool.

You also still need to test your pool for salt, CL, TA, CH, CYA, and pH fairly frequently.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit