Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFCI Breaker?

1. Back To Top    #1

GFCI Breaker?

I am currently installing a Jandy Sub Panel Power Center (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Jandy-66 ... 14AP-L.htm), and I will be putting my pump and one 120 volt light on it. They are currently (before the re-wire) plugged into a GFCI 20amp outdoor receptacle.

First question:
    Since they will be wired directly into the power center to breakers, should I make those breakers GFCI? I think I know the answer, especially since I have already purchased the non-GFCI breakers.

Second question:
    My upstream disconnect is a 60 amp box, but I only wired one 30-amp breaker in it because it is 10-3 wire, and it is run about 80 feet, and I've read that 30 amps is max for 10 gauge wire. I purchased two breakers: 1 single pole 20amp breaker (for pump), and 1 double pole 15amp breaker (for 120V light and 5amp draw to Jandy heater ignition). If I have to change these to GFCI, I may be screwed, because I need 3 places to wire a hot wire (pump, heater, light), and a 20 and 2 15's would put me at 50 amps, although it would never draw more than about 22-25 amps. What do I do? Is there such a thing as a double pole 15 amp GFCI breaker?

Larry
    10k Johnny Weissmuller AGP, Waterway 2HP 2-speed pump & sand filter
    On order/me attempting install: Jandy LRZ125EN heater, Jandy sub panel, Jandy RS-P4 OneTouch, iAqualink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GFCI Breaker?

I have answered my second question by simply googling. They do exist.

As for my first question, do I go to the trouble of exchanging the breakers?

Larry
    On order/me attempting install: Jandy LRZ125EN heater, Jandy sub panel, Jandy RS-P4 OneTouch, iAqualink

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, I would. GFCI is way safer, and required by electrical code.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure what the double pole breaker is for. You have 3 120V loads... you should use 3 single pole GFCI breakers. Single pole GFCI will be much cheaper (around $50 at Home Depot).
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

5. Back To Top    #5

jtech1, the double pole breaker is for the main panel. The three single pole breakers go in the sub-panel.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought he was indicating that the 2-pole 15A breaker was for lights and heater... like he was taking each off one leg on the 2-pole breaker.
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

7. Back To Top    #7

Jtech1, you actually had my assumptions and interpretations correct.

Apparently, I have read from a bad source that I could use a 2 pole breaker and run two separate 120 volt circuits off it. I also assumed that the total of my breakers could not equal greater than my disconnect breaker off 30 amps.

After much reading and more interpretation I have learned quite a bit. I realize now that I can have a total amount of breaker amps than my disconnect or main breaker.I knew that my system would never be loaded to its limits, but I also assume that codes and safety did not assume that. Therefore, I will now use separate GFCI breakers for each circuit. This is actually good news, because now I can add a GFCI outlet to my Power Center. It has knockouts for that if one desires to add point. I need a little hand to your place to plug in my robot rather than having to go up to the balcony every time.

thanks for all the help!

Larry