New AG pool

Manana

Jul 2, 2011
We're having a new AG pool installed tomorrow. It's a swim and play 27 ft round pool. With my previous pool, I used the BBB method. With the purchase of this pool, we received a years supply of the Sustain chemicals so I'm going to try those until it's gone. Will it be hard to switch back to BBB next year? Also the pool comes with a Hayward Perplex EC50AC DE filter. Anyone have experience with that filter? I've never had a DE filter and the way he explained it, is that I pump it to clean it and then at some point will have to clean the DE out and put more in. How often do I do that?.

anyway I'm sure I'll have more questions once it's in.

Is there any way you can exchange the chemicals for lets say... DE powder... Leaf rake... pool toys... suction side auto cleaner? That way you don't have to mess with their chemicals. If it were me, I'd ask for an instore credit on things I listed above.

As far as the DE bumping and back washing... when the pressure rises (just like a sand filter) you can bump the handle and regenerate the DE that coats the fingers. When the pressure continually rises after bumping, then you can back wash the filter and add new DE. What I do is once I back wash my filter and add my second load of DE, the 3rd time I back wash, I tear the filter down and spray the fingers off because the DE will get caught up in the fingers that bumping does not release.

Hope that makes sense.

It comes with a bag of DE powder..that he said would last me 2 years. It also comes with a pool rake and automatic vacuum...a lil shark???? (I don't have the paperwork in front of me.) and they don't sell toys. Is sustain bad?

I've never used it but BBB is better IMO. It's all I use.

Someone else may feild that one... :mrgreen:

ETA that I googled Sustain and came across FAQ's regarding the product. A question was, What are the ingrediants? Sustain offered a pretty pathetic answer seen here: http://www.ppg.com/chemicals/askjoepool ... ummer.aspx

I had no idea chlorine had brains. :hammer: My guess is that it's stabilized chlorine. So if you are going to use it, be prepared to combat high CYA values throughout the summer.

We need to know more about the ingredients, but it's most likely cal-hypo. If it is, your CH will get very high unless you're in a place with very low CH naturally. Switching back won't really be a switch at all.

The MSDS for the Sustain Summer Shield list the ingredients as 80-85% Sodium Chloride Brine and 15-20% Sustain Shield (proprietary).
Both the Sustain tablets (3 inch chlorinating and Energizer) are Cal Hypo.
I would be interested in find out more about the "proprietary" ingredients before I started adding them to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.