My Hayward H200 pool heater, I need help!

Jun 23, 2013
So I figured out that I need a new gas valve and I replaced it. Now it is working too well! After turning on within a few seconds, rolling blue flames circle about UNDER the main burners and it seems to be getting to hot and it shuts itself off. I did clean it all with a shop vac and I am wondering if there was restricters on the 4 little nips that stick out into the manifold and I just need to replace those? or is it some how now getting too much gas? or is there blockage some where inside that is restricting upward flow? need an expert.

David

Has your heat exchanger sooted up? When you see the flames "rolling" around like that is a usual indication that there is a soot build up and it needs to be cleaned.

Not really as it is too dark to show on film vrs the light. I can now tell that it is getting way too much gas as it curls out. this last time it started to come out of the burner pipe and I shut the main cut off valve immediately. scary. so it is a new gas valve for a hayward H200 item haxgsv0001 150-300 na mv repl. Is it coming from too much from the pilot light and or is there another way to adjust the amount of gas? I pulled out the burners again and checked the flow, they are clear as a whistle. how does this system control the amount of gas anyway? for the right flame height? there is soot but not a lot as I did vacuum it out and blow out any debre.

There should not be any adjustment to be made on the gas valve. Especially if it's new. Unless you have a leak somewhere but you should be able to smell it when its not even lit.

If it's sooted up it would prevent the flames from burning correctly. Remove the burner tray, remove the top off the heater, take a hose with a spray nozzle on it and spray down over the heat exchanger. If you get a bunch of black stuff, soot, then it's sooted and needs the cleaning. Keep spraying down and then stick your hand up inside where the burners go and spray upwards. Put the top on first so you won't get a bath. Then spray from the top one more time. Put burners back in and see what happens.

THAT DID IT! I guess I am very new to this but I did not know you can and should remove the burner assembly and spray the water coils out of all the soot build up. we inherited the house with the pool from buying from a bank owned, and who knows how long its been since its been properly cleaned. now you can see the burners from the top and heat flowing through from the bottom to the top. nice blue flame with just a hint of yellow from here and there. and it is staying on nice and consistent. thanks for the soot built up idea. as I then looked up service tech guide and how to clean.

As you now see, when the unit get sooted like that it blocks the air for the burners causing this issue. The only time the units get sooted is if a orifice or burner tube had been clogged or it has been overheating.

I'm glad I was able to help you get it fixed and working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.