Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool cooler

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cooler

Even in the oppressive Houston humidity this had taken us from 92 degrees to 86 in a day. LOVING IT![attachment=1:g0txg4nm]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372011076.177248.jpg[/attachment:g0txg4nm]

[attachment=0:g0txg4nm]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372011099.881342.jpg[/attachment:g0txg4nm]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cooler

Nice!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that a shower head? Way cool way to make a fountain!
    Summer Escapes 15'x42" AGP, Intex 14" sand filter, Intex SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I looked at shower heads but wanted higher flow so I went with a watering wand and pulled the head from it.

[attachment=2:1bn8rwm8]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372016674.912428.jpg[/attachment:1bn8rwm8]

[attachment=1:1bn8rwm8]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372016701.678002.jpg[/attachment:1bn8rwm8]

9 bucks at lowes.

The big one cooled it off super fast on high. We are trying version 3 on low to see if it will maintain 85.

[attachment=0:1bn8rwm8]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372016791.233118.jpg[/attachment:1bn8rwm8]

The only glued connection is the one into the wall. The first 90 is secured with a set screw. The rest are friction fit until I find the final configuration.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

5. Back To Top    #5

[attachment=0:3o91dkcx]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372016985.656780.jpg[/attachment:3o91dkcx]

For comparison sake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Karmabiker, run the pump at night and you will get more efficient cooling and less evaporation.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool cooler

Tip much appreciated ... but ...

We tried running the pump last night and got minimal cooling compared to the usual overnight temp drop. I suspect it is related to the crazy high humidity at night in Houston. The temperature delta between the head and the surface impact point during the day is about 21 degrees (using a SCUBA computer) during the day.

I honestly thought we were going to see a really big overnight drop and was crazy disappointed this morning.

The first 2 prototypes were on a regular jet in the deep end and got decent height. V2.0 (first post) has 2 times the height and distance. It seems the evaporative cooling component is far more effective than the ambient cooling.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Amazing what a difference in humidy makes. Here in Tucson it has been over 100 for 28 straight days. This morning my pool was at 84 and the spa at 82 (shallow water). I have to run my solar system to WARM the water or my wife complains its too cold.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

You get a 21 degree drop? Amazing! I get 10.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker
    Tip much appreciated ... but ...

We tried running the pump last night and got minimal cooling compared to the usual overnight temp drop. I suspect it is related to the crazy high humidity at night in Houston. The temperature delta between the head and the surface impact point during the day is about 21 degrees (using a SCUBA computer) during the day.

I honestly thought we were going to see a really big overnight drop and was crazy disappointed this morning.

The first 2 prototypes were on a regular jet in the deep end and got decent height. V2.0 (first post) has 2 times the height and distance. It seems the evaporative cooling component is far more effective than the ambient cooling.
    High humidity should help with evaporation loss. I only get about 5-9*s running during the day. 15-19* running at night. Last year I got my temps down from the mid 90's to 80* before I was getting complaints on it being to COLD! Run time at night also determines temp also. 7-8 is were I am at peak summer.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

Karma,

What size PVC did you use for that? 3/4"? Is there any special fitting you need to put on the end that plugs in to the discharge? I would like to do something like this as well. our pool gets up in the 90s regularly especially when it a 115 outside like today . I have an aerator but it doesn't put out too much of a spray. I'm in SW Arizona so running the pump at night is a must.

Thanks
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

12. Back To Top    #12

Jt,
    It's 2 inch PVC. There is a threaded to 2 inch fitting that goes into the socket behind the eyeball. I'll try to get some good pictures tomorrow that explain the whole thing.

Chris

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Chris!
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

14. Back To Top    #14

Score another one for a simple, yet effective solution.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

15. Back To Top    #15

I live NE of Houston in SE Montgomery County. My pool only gets a few hours of direct sun due to lots of tall trees on the south and east sides so the highest temps I see are around 78. The downside to that is that the pool warms up later in the spring and cools off earlier in the fall.

Water temp Wed night at 9PM was 69 DegF. That's getting a bit on the chilly side (for this area).
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

16. Back To Top    #16

Correction on the size. It's 1.5".

To install you remove the eyeball and the insert the eyeball screws onto. After that easy cheesy. Just get all of the angles correct before gluing based on how far the threaded part screws into the wall.

17. Back To Top    #17

That's a great idea. I'm going to have to try that. What about putting a by-pass and valve on it to turn it off should the weather change and you don't want to cool the water?
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I just unscrew them and put the eyeball back in.

Bypass would work well I'm sure.

19. Back To Top    #19

I've got one of the cheap ball valve/union combos on mine, I just turn the valve off when we're not using it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

20. Back To Top    #20

Very cool! I'm definately going to try this thanks for posting the pics.
    My pool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast