Should I adjust TA?

CLToy

Jun 4, 2012
Charleston, WV
I have been following the advice of this site and using thepoolcalculator for adjustments.

Here are the basics of my pool:
- 25,000 gallons IG pool with vinyl liner (approximate dimentions: 20 ft x 40 ft)
- 3 ft to 5 ft depth with slide
- Hayward S200 sand filter (200 lbs media with flow rate 44 GPM/166 LPM)
- Current sand in place for last 2-seasons
- Hayward 1.5 hp pump running 24/7 from open to close of season
- Dolphin Advantage pool cleaner

Pool chemicals
- 8.25% Bleach
- Arm and Hammer Baking Soda

The water is crystal clear, no discoloration on surface, feels great. The results of my test, using the XL kit from here:

TC- 0.5
CC- 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 50
Ca - 180
CYA - 20

I don't want to get too crazy chasing a number when the pool has never looked better; however, I am wondering if I should adjust the TA level? Thank you for your time!

Chadrick

I'd be much more concerend about adjusting your FC number.......upwards! Let your rate of PH rise dicatate to you whether or not to adjust your TA level. Goes up too fast requiring more muriatic additions........I'd bump it up to 80.

As stated above, you need chlorine (and CYA) in your pool.

Your CYA should be up around 50 ppm and your FC should be maintained around 4-6 ppm.

I would leave the TA alone for now and focus on the above.

Excellent.

So if my pH continues to climb, I have some ascorbic acid from last season leftover that I could add to reduce the pH. Then add more baking soda to increase both the pH and the TA?

Thanks guys. I have added bleach to get the FC to 4 (before posting this forum question). With my current CYA level, I only have to add one jug of 8.25% every couple of days. The second day, the FC is practically zero but the water is beautifully clear. My neighbor came over, to help with building construction, and he commented on how clear the pool has been. He uses all the 'horrible' products from the local pool 'experts'. Since he has seen my pool do so well, and so cheaply the last couple of seasons, he wants me to show him how to use this site/poolcalculator and purchase a test kit to do the same. Thanks for the kind words and help.

Chadrick

You really don't want to let the FC drop below your recommended range. It doesn't take long for algae to get a foothold if you miss dosing your pool a couple of days. When you add bleach shoot for the top of the range and then you are less likely to drop out of range when it is time to add more.

Then add more baking soda to increase both the pH and the TA?
No. I am not sure where it got started but many newbs are thinking baking soda raises both TA and pH....It does not. For our purposes, it ONLY raises TA

Remember...

pH up - use 20 Mule team Borax (TA goes up also)

pH down - Use muriatic acid (TA goes down also)

TA up - use baking soda (pH remains the same) ...don't split fine hairs here!

TA down - aeration and acid- it's a process defined in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.