Best place to get borax in US? Cheaper than dept. store?

Jun 23, 2013
Hi, I've finally re-opened my pool after leaving it covered for a couple of years. Has a lovely green tint to it :cry: plus some disappointing numbers:

FC 0
pH 6-6.2
TA 60
CYA 30

I forgot that pH needs to be increased first, so I shocked it yesterday which unfortunately did nothing.

After some reading I've found that the pH needs to come up first and foremost, and alkalinity a little bit. I was looking to get 12-15 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax to put in there, but the stuff seems way more expensive than it used to be (could've sworn I got it for like $4 or $5 a box).

Does anyone know of a place that's currently a good source of borax at a good price?

I used a test strip that gives you the results for pH/FC/TA/CYA.
Throw the strips as far as you can....then, go pick them up and throw them further. repeat until they are off your property. :lol:

I doubt your pH is that low and I think you are about to overdose big time. Invest in a good kit so you can have some faith in your testing and I think you will find you need far less borax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.