Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best place to get borax in US? Cheaper than dept. store?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best place to get borax in US? Cheaper than dept. store?

Hi, I've finally re-opened my pool after leaving it covered for a couple of years. Has a lovely green tint to it plus some disappointing numbers:

FC 0
    pH 6-6.2
    TA 60
    CYA 30

I forgot that pH needs to be increased first, so I shocked it yesterday which unfortunately did nothing.

After some reading I've found that the pH needs to come up first and foremost, and alkalinity a little bit. I was looking to get 12-15 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax to put in there, but the stuff seems way more expensive than it used to be (could've sworn I got it for like $4 or $5 a box).

Does anyone know of a place that's currently a good source of borax at a good price?
    26k gal, IG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 36 DE Filter, Pentair 460732 MasterTemp 250 NG Heater, King Tec Pool Frog XL Pro Chlorinator/Mineral Purifier, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Best place to get borax in US? Cheaper than dept. store?

Welcome to the forum. What size is your pool? How did you get a test result of 6.0 - 6.2 for pH?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I found 6 boxes at Kmart yesterday for $1.50 per box.
    I asked if they had more and they said that was all they
    had in stock. It's well worth looking for if you have a
    store in your area.
    20k, vinyl, inground
    Sand Filter, 1.5 hp pump
    Taylor 2006 test kit
    Down South in the Magnolia State

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum. What size is your pool? How did you get a test result of 6.0 - 6.2 for pH?
    Thanks! It's a 30' round, about 22000 gallons. I used a test strip that gives you the results for pH/FC/TA/CYA.
    26k gal, IG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 36 DE Filter, Pentair 460732 MasterTemp 250 NG Heater, King Tec Pool Frog XL Pro Chlorinator/Mineral Purifier, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I found some boxes at Rural King for $4 a piece, that's the best I've found so far. I'll check the Kmart and see what they've got, thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I used a test strip that gives you the results for pH/FC/TA/CYA.
    Throw the strips as far as you can....then, go pick them up and throw them further. repeat until they are off your property.

I doubt your pH is that low and I think you are about to overdose big time. Invest in a good kit so you can have some faith in your testing and I think you will find you need far less borax.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School