Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine??

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine??

I have never heard this but, can you lose CYA during pool closing and opening, and have bacteria convert the remaining CYA to ammonia so your pool won't hold chlorine?? Or that phosphates are eating up the chlorine?? I know someone who has been told both of these things. Is either one true?
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine?

You can lose CYA during the winter closing and have it converted to ammonia yes. As far as phosphates eating up chlorine... I don't think so.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine?

Thank you for the quick reply. I had never heard of either of these problems. I would guess in either situation it would be best for my friend to have an accurate reading of the CYA level if the pool was not holding chlorine. The pool water is clear and unfortunately, my friend uses the pool store to test the water. hahahaha, big mistake! I just found out today my friend, not a close friend, had a pool with problems. I will try to get us a new convert.
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!