HELP my pool is GREEN and cloudy!! (Pictures)

Help!

Jun 23, 2013
We have an Intex pool, 15ft x 42in, it holds around 3,000 gallons of water. We filled the pool a few weeks ago and added the chemicals. We really haven't kept up with the chemicals 100%, other than adding 3 inch tablets and checking the levels.. The pool does get a lot of use (5-9 people at a time, for hours.). I have checked it every time before swimming, the cholrine levels are always a bit low while the PH is always perfect. We noticed our green problem a few days ago, then added algecide and shocked it with a half bag of SuperShock. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Then yesterday I painfully watched tons of youtube videos, looked at websites and read forums... I shocked the pool two different times during the day (using 1/2 bag each time, one time was SuperShock and the other was normal Shock.). We also cleaned the filter, (for the first time!) it was nasty! We had to clean it three times yesterday...each time it seemed worse! The water was circulating and the filter was more powerful. This was great, as it never seemed to be moving the water before!! I took a picture, this was after the first shock, just before we cleaned the filter.

2.jpg

This morning we added another 1/2 bag of normal shock, and changed the filter again. The water seems a bit clearer, but still green..

1.jpg

I'm so confused, everyone online does something different! What should I do??

- A Pool Newbie

Welcome to TFP!
You've come to the right place. Everyone on this sight has been in your spot at one time or another. First thing you want to do is get yourself a decent test kit and get some numbers posted. We'll need to see those to get an idea of what your first move should be.

Don't use any more algaecide. Don't use any more "shock". Use plain old bleach to raise FC. How about posting some of your test results for us so we can better help? Run and clean that filter 24/7 until that pool clears. Have you read pool school....at least twice! I wouldn't be letting kids in there until it clears. Following the shocking process in pool school.

Okay, here are the pictures of the test I just took a few minutes ago. I also took another picture of the pool.

3.jpg

Image taken immediately after adding 4 drops of Orthotolodine.

4.jpg

Image taken immediately after adding 4 drops of Phenol Red.

6.jpg

Maybe...10-20 seconds later after testing PH??

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Yesterday.

10.jpg

Today.

If you are moving water with a pump, you need a reliable test kit. Kiddy pool aside... you are fighting the algae. Let me recommend the TF-100 right off to you. You can find the link to purchase in my siggy. :goodjob:

Test strips are unreliable. You'll get a different reading with every dip and you can hit up 3 pool stores and get 3 different readings. Having your own test kit is going to take the guess work out of it for you and us so we can work together to get you guys swimming again.

You need to read Pool School and the ABC's of water chemistry and how to shock your pool. With you having a firm grasp on pool chemistry, it is going to give you the upper hand to run a crystal clear pool all summer long!

I've been slowly reading Pool School, there is a lot of information there. Thank you! Unfortunately, I can't afford a new test kit right now...I've already put so much money into chemicals. Can I fix my problem without having to purchase one?? I already put 2 bags of shock in (during a 2 day time period), should I just let the pool rest and clean the filter every few hours.. Will my water eventually clear up? Or, should I add a bunch of liquid bleach and let it kill the algae? I really need some help ASAP, I don't want my pool to get greener! :p

You need to read Pool School. We can certainly answer your questions but you need to read the links in Pool School to aquire the knowledge to treat and conquer your algae ridden pool.

TFP did not put a lot of effort into Pool School so no one would read it. All of which you seek is there. We type out a lot of post to people in dire need for a clear pool and every post is the same. Read Pool School. It's there to help you. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You say you cannot afford to buy a test kit. Let me say that if you were to stretch your budget just enough to get either the TF-100 or K-2006, your kids, your pool and everyone using it will thank you.

The whole reason we strongly suggest buying a professional test kit is with it, you will know exactly what is going on in your pool.

Without accurate analysis of your pool water, you are shooting in the dark at a target you can't see.

We can help you clear your water and keep it clear but to do so requires proper testing and dosing of what your pool needs.

Shocking your pool, contrary to what the pool stores tell and sell you is NOT a product, it is a process that in some cases only takes days, in others maybe a week or two. The quickest way to a clear, clean pool is with proper testing with a good kit. It is also the least expensive. Don't focus on the immediate cost of the kit, focus on the savings from being free from the pool store's "you have got to buy this expensive product to clear your pool" line of garbage.

There are many people here that were in your shoes. some of them were spending thousands a year on pool chemicals. $200 - $500 or more per month, and still having problems with the water. Now, most even with the largest pool are spending as little as $20 per month, and maintaining a clean, clear pool.

Try it, you will wonder how you got along before!

Hello Everyone! Thank you so much for the advice, I read pool school and I'm going to look into getting a better test kit soon. :) But I first wanted to show you all what I woke up to this morning:

1.jpg

I didn't do any treatments yesterday, other than cleaning the filter a few times during the day and trying to vacuum. It's not green anymore!! It is cloudy though.

This was a few days ago:
3.jpg

2.jpg

I can see lots of dead algae on the bottom, what is the best way to get this up? I tried to vacuum yesterday, but it seemed to just stir things around...any suggestions??

Are you running your filter 24/7?

Do you have a suction vacuum head, or are you trying to use that garden hose mistake that Intex sells? If possible use a suction type, and "sneak up on" the algae. Let the suction pull it debris into the head, not like you would be doing your carpet.

Vacuum what you can, and then sweep/brush your pool, sides included.

That garden hose mistake!!! :mrgreen: lol

Now that I got that out of my system... I want to ask you why you're not keeping the pool at shock levels? You are clearly not done with the process because your pool is dull n cloudy. You are about to suffer another round of algae.

What should my shock level be? My chlorine levels are still high, and the ph is perfect. Since I don't have a better test kit yet, it only reads the Chlorine up to a 3.0. I tried using the pool calculator and it gave me a specific number for my shock level, but it was above what my test kit can read.. Should I just throw in another 1/2 bag of shock?? I'm going to the store this evening, at this point I have nothing. Oh, yes...I do have "that garden hose mistake"!! Do you know of a good vacuum for intex pools?

- Newbie ;)

What I did with mine was plugged the garden hose connection, and got a 24' long pool vacuum hose from Walmart. Used a hose clamp to attach to the bag nipple, and the other end goes into the skimmer adapter on the side of the pool.

Suggestion on your shock level -- besides buy the kit! -- dilute pool water by 3:1 with distilled water. that's 3 parts distilled to 1 part pool water and multiply the reading by 3......you get the idea. Accuracy goes away, but the OTO tester isn't accurate to begin with. It will get you closer to what you need temporarily.

Okay, I did the 3:1 ratio. (Thank you!!) I believe it read a 2.0, so in other words 6.0 was my chlorine level. I tried using the pool calculator, I just put in what my FC level was (6.0) and the results said I need a level of 15.0 to reach shock. Is that correct? How much shock, or liquid chlorine should I use to reach that amount? I just put another 3 inch tablet in my floating dispenser and changed the filter. Unfortunately, my pool doesn't have a skimmer..so, that makes the vacuum system impossible. Can I use the filter somehow to vacuum instead?? I'm going shopping within an hour or so, is there anything else I need to purchase?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.