Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super Clorinate time

1. Back To Top    #1

Super Clorinate time

I have been using my Aquarite SWG with the t-15 cell for about a month or so now and I am still getting used to what I can expect it to put out in the way of chlorine. Right now my sale level is about 3100ppm. My power has been a little hit and miss lately but has usually come on overnight and stayed on for most of the night. When I have a bunch of people in the pool or I start to see signs of algae I turn it to superchlorinate overnight in an effort to shock it. Last night I did this and this morning I only had 2ppm FC in the pool. I tested yesterday and it was about 2ppm as well. I have been having some algae issues lately so could it just be using the chlorine that fast?

When you use super Chlorinate how long do you usually use it for? What would you expect the FC to be after that time? is there any rule of thumb on how much output I should be able to expect from the SWG on an hourly basis? I usually keep it on 100% since we have pretty high swimmer loads and this time of year we get rain in the evening which leads to algae. Thanks.

Tim
    I have a 25K IG pool (concrete)
    I live in the Caribbean with poor infrastructure and lose power often.
    Hayward pump, Hayward clear star plus cartridge filter
    New to pool ownership

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Super Clorinate time

A SWG can't really shock the pool. They are designed to add chlorine slowly and uniformly to a pool. Shocking requires adding lots of chlorine very quickly.

From your description, you have algae and need to properly shock the pool, as described in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Using that "super-chlorinate" setting is..........NOT.....the same as shocking your pool properly. Useful for bumping up your FC a couple points before or during a pool party, but it will not achieve shock level FC for your pool. It could be useful in help MAINTAINING your shock level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would keep bleach on hand, use it to complete the shock process and use it when you loose power for significant amounts of time. You could spend 24 hours trying to get say 10 ppm of chlorine in the pool, or you could spend 2 mins with a jug of bleach.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks for the advise. I added 3 gallons of bleach per the poolcalculator.com page. Also I'm wondering if there is a good preventative aglaecide that you would recommend? Thanks again.

Tim
    I have a 25K IG pool (concrete)
    I live in the Caribbean with poor infrastructure and lose power often.
    Hayward pump, Hayward clear star plus cartridge filter
    New to pool ownership