Rust from filling new pool

Jun 16, 2013
Just filled the 20 by 52 intex ultra frame pool yesterday from the local fire hydrant. I did like the water dept. said and flushed the hydrant before filling the pool but I still have brown rusty water. I have a intex 1500 GPH sand filter that I will be running with a intex krystal clear salt water system. For now I have been running the filter only to help clean the pool. I need to get the saltwater system going today.

What can I use to get the rust out of the pool? I will be going to get some basic pool cleaning kit today (brush, cleaning net etc.).

Should I start adding the salt now and let it dissolve with just the filter running or should I install the saltwater system and turn it on? I think I amd supposed to put the salt in and let it dissolve for 24 hours before turning the saltwater system on.

The pool is 8638 gallons which needs 220 lbs of salt for startup.

One last item. How full should I fill the pool? I think I added to much water so I drained some out. I am now just above the return port which is still fully underwater.

Run the filter as much as you can, and backwash the filter fairly frequently, to clear out any rust that it catches.

You can start dissolving salt right away, but don't turn on the SWG until 24 hours after adding salt.

The pool is clearing up but the rust is on the bottom. I need to get a vacuum to get the rust from the bottom. Anyone have any recommendations? Remember I have the intex style inlet. I assume I will need to get the adaptor so I can attach stuff to the inlet port. I had the diver dave cleaner years ago and it did a decent job, but I sold it thinking I was out of the pool game. Might have to get another one since they are not that expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.