convert watts to amps

Jul 11, 2008
Flintstone, GA USA
My timer keeps throwing the breaker.

I probably have something wired wrong but I need to know this:

My digital timer specs just says 6 W Max. The timer can either run 220v or 110v. I have it wired 220.

I need to know how many amps the timer is pulling in both 110 volt and 220 volt.

Can anyone give me this info.

My times is a Intermatic digital P1353 which I purchased 8/9/2012 so if something is wrong with the timer than I want to get it replaced before the 1 year warranty runs out.

I have pump and cleaner wired 220 and I know the amps of the pump which is 5.9 in 220 V.
I don't know the amps the cleaner pump is pulling but it is a Polaris 75 HP and everything is wired with #12 G wire.
I have a 20 AMP GFI breaker on the main breaker serving the pool.

Thanks
Tom

Tom

6 watts at 220 volts is 0.027 amps. The timer isn't going to have anything to do with the breaker tripping unless it is very broken.

Keep in mind that pumps have very high peak startup currents, often larger than their specified max amps. If you are trying to start the main pump and the booster pump at the same time on a single circuit breaker there are likely to be problems, though it might work fine depending on various details.

That 6W is the consumption of the timer/clock function itself. That puppy will control up to 3HP on each of three circuits. It is plenty big. Per the manual:

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/I...ectronic Controls/P1000ME Series/P1353ME.ashx

I doubt your issue is the timer. As Jason said, staggering the on-times is a must.

How old is the breaker? They sometimes go bad.

It would be helpful to try various set-ups to see what equipment causes the trip. Does it trip on start-up of one item or in the middle of a run? What happens if you only run each piece separately? If one alone still trips the breaker you probably have a mis-wiring or defect on that circuit. If it is only both together (but not starting simultaneously), I would try replacing the breaker.

Another idea: as a test, with no one in the pool area, try a non-GFCI breaker (if you are capable of that) to determine if the issue is overcurrent or just a leakage to ground.

Disclosure: I am not an electrician, but I have wired or rewired three pool systems and have been doing my own work for many years.

This happens when the pump itself comes on. My pump only pulls 5.9 amps. Nothing else is on the line with it when it starts up.

Also I disconnected the nutral wire and rehooked it and it seems to fix the start up problem. The only thing is last night it tripped off at about 11 PM when it was on 1000 rpm and was pulling very few volts.

I suspect it might be the breaker. I think I will replace it with a new one to see if this solves the problem.

I know that the breaker and timer worked fine controlling my old 1 HP Super Pump and same cleaner. If it is not the breaker then I would not be surprised if it wasn't in my wiring job.

Tom,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.