Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Extra concrete at diving or shallow end?

1. Back To Top    #1

Extra concrete at diving or shallow end?

20 X 40 IG SWG vinyl liner pool with AC., starting construction hopefully end of this week. Was looking at 8' concrete decking all around, but now think we will need more, like maybe 12' on the one long side and 16'. Common sense tells me to put extra decking on the shallow end, but I thought I'd ask your opinions.

Amy
    36K gal (40 X 20), IG vinyl w/AC, Hayward single speed Super Pump 1hp, Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin Supreme robot
    Cleveland, OH

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Extra concrete at diving or shallow end?

Which side is closest to house? Got a drawing?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Some views of the backyard (all shots from above don't come out clear, sorry). The orange is where I spray painted around, some to give an idea of decking. I'll send the plan but it has changed so drastically that I'm not sure it will help at this point. We were very dissatisfied with our landscaper, so we are trying to find someone new (he landscaped our front yard). You might be able to see the pegs, which marks the 20 X 40. We are doing deck jets on the length opposite our house. Diving board (if looking from perspective of outside of the house) is going on the left and shallow on the right. Probably 4'-8'.

Amy
    36K gal (40 X 20), IG vinyl w/AC, Hayward single speed Super Pump 1hp, Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG
    Cleveland, OH

4. Back To Top    #4

So, to be clear, 2nd shot looking AT the house, diving board is on the right. 1st shot would be shallow end. There about 18" difference between deep to shallow...ughhh...
    Cleveland, OH

5. Back To Top    #5

We are choosing to put more decking at our shallow end as that is the side people will tend to wade into the pool from. We're also putting the shallow end on the more northern side. This is so you can sit on the roman steps and get some sun from the front.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread