Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In ground pool under construction and concerned

1. Back To Top    #1

In ground pool under construction and concerned

My 20x40 roman-end, steel wall pool is currently under construction. My concern is that my pool is not being installed with the proper size PVC plumbing and appropriate equipment.

My pool will have the following features:
    1) 10 ft. wide entry with 2 jets.
    2) 2 cozy coves; each with 6 jets.
    3) 3 wide mouth skimmers
    4) 3 returns
    5) 4 arcing fountains

He is using 1.5 inch plumbing, a 2 hp Hayward 2 speed pump and is also adding a 2 hp Hayward pump to run the cozy coves. Is the 1.5 inch plumbing adequate? What will happen if he uses the 1.5 in plumbing instead of the 2 inch plumbing?

He claims that the wide mouth skimmers used only accept 1.5 inch plumbing and even if he used 2 inch plumbing, it would need to be scaled down at the point of the skimmers. Is that true?

He is installing a Hayward DE 48 filter. I think this is undersized. If what I think is true, what size filter should he use given the two 2 hp pumps. What will happen if he sticks with the de48?

Other than that, I believe the other equipment (salt water generator, heat pump) is appropriate.

I've never had a pool and am really concerned, so any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
    I just want a trouble free pool that runs efficiently. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: In ground pool under construction and concerned

Welcome to the forum.

1.5 will work, 2" is somewhat better. Ask PB how much to upgrade? Shouldn't be too much.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Central MD

We have a 2HP 2 speed Hayward Tristar pump. The front of the owners manual states:
    Required: 2" plumbing minimum
    Recommended: 2 1/2" plumbing or larger

Interestingly, the manual is for all sizes of Tristar pumps. I think they are clearly emphasizing the efficiency of larger plumbing. We have 2" per my specs based on info found here. You could find the owners manual online and show him what it says. He'll either say fine and do it or cop an attitude and that could be a sign of how other issues will also be handled. There will be other issues during construction.

On this topic I only know what the manual says and what smart people here say. I have no horse in the race. Incidentally I don't have the need for a 2HP pump but that's what came to be. At least it's a 2 speed. I think of it as the gift that keeps on costing. Best of luck making something work that makes you feel comfortable.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the advice/input. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly.