Is there an overnight FC change chart with checklist?

Apr 14, 2013
Pool school has a FC test of no more than .5 FC change in 24 hours.

I've been looking for a normal FC checklist and not finding it.

I expect to find something like this

Overnight FC change, evaluation, checklist of observations needed

0-.5 excellent, no action need

5+, danger, check for
[ ] visible aglae
[ ] debris
[ ] ph, cya, alka levels
[ ] filtration flow, need cleaning?
[ ] increased swim load without adjustment of treatment chemicals
[ ] ncomplete shock treatment
etc...

And then the inbetween

1.0 to ##.##, very good, but watch out for.....

###.## to ###.## good, but these actions should be taken

## to ####, border line, increase Chlorine for one day and if no improvement, then take these steps...

How much of Pool School have you read?

The only "chart" you really need is the CYA/FC chart.

Since every pool is unique, what works for your pool wouldn't necessarily work for someone else, say in AZ or TX.

The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is:

1) no more than 1 ppm FC loss overnight (sundown to within 2 hours of sunup).

2) no more than .5 ppm CC

3) clear water (you could read the lettering on a quarter on the bottom of the deep end).

Do you have a good test kit? If not, Please follow the links in Pool School and get one. This is a purchase you will be glad you did, and your pool will thank you.

Sorry, no flow charts here. We've discussed it, but there are too many variables.

Realistically, you'll get to know the pool's personality after a couple weeks of testing and logging the results. You'll see increased chlorine demand long before you'll see a spike in CC or cloudy water if you're religious about testing. And then when something does look amiss, you'll be able to go back and think what has changed; pool party? toddler in swim diaper? Windstorm blew crud in the pool? Heat wave?

If CC is climbing, FC is dropping, and the solution is usually the same

[center:suukr13t]
file.php
[/center:suukr13t]

ok, just thought I would ask. strange results: FC up .5 one day and down 3.0 next, and don't think its the drops, unless the 10ml sample is more likely to show bigger swings in the numbers. my FC jumps so I thought the lower volume test would be enough. weird was PH dropping from 7.4 to 7.0, or less. added a touch of CL today, and some city water, if same results will add some alka up, but had to work today so no time for learning new chem treatments

Notri4MeBikeSwim said:
ok, just thought I would ask. strange results: FC up .5 one day and down 3.0 next, and don't think its the drops, unless the 10ml sample is more likely to show bigger swings in the numbers. my FC jumps so I thought the lower volume test would be enough. weird was PH dropping from 7.4 to 7.0, or less. added a touch of CL today, and some city water, if same results will add some alka up, but had to work today so no time for learning new chem treatments
What are you using to chlorinate your pool? Trichlor/Dichlor are acidic and will lower pH.

Have you added any acid?

"Alka up" is baking soda. We use it to raise TA. For raising pH, we use Borax.

Interesting, maybe that's the problem. I've been using kemtek chlorate 2 from home depot/lowes. 90% other ingredients. 2 gal changed ph from 7.0 to 8.0. i thought it was just 12% bleach, but now thinking something else is in it that is messing up the water treatment

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't let you ph get above 7.8. I would lower it down to 7.2 whenever you get to 7.6 this will also lower your TA which may help with your ph rise. With the high calcium you have, you are at risk for scaling if you continue to let your ph get so high.

Is you plaster new?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.