Sta-rite NG IG Pool Heater fires but won't stay lit

Jun 23, 2013
Sta-rite NG IG Pool Heater fires but won't stay lit. Fires (abnormal deep sounding exhaust smells of NG), runs less than 4 minutes & heater shuts off. Blower continues to run. The cycle will continue this way until I power it down. No error code.
Previous to this, pool water not balanced so added 25lbs of alkalinity Plus & just so happens my pool pump expired. Ordered online, replaced within 48hrs. All chemical settled to bottom & ended up in cartridge Filter. Removed and cleaned filters (caked on blue semi-dissolved chemical). Reinstalled & everything works perfectly, except for the heater. What's wrong???

:hammer: Jaistauffer

Do you have normal water flow now in the pool once you cleaned everything up? It sounds like the unit is overheating, cooling off and re heating. Make sure you have good water flow and then I would also check the thermostat that is located under the bottom union. You can use a set of adjustable pliers or a standard screw drive by sticking it in the slots to unscrew. Maybe it's all gunked up from your chemicals.

I just rebuild a Starite E therem heater for a friend.

It had a mouse nest in the blower - and caused all kinds of problems. Don't know where your located, but dirt, debris in the combustion chamber will create all kids of problems, and seems common to heaters as they are outside and exposed.

Was it working - then stopped or did it ver work this season.

Where there any changes before you started having problems. There are several switches - high limit, water flow etc. Most are ON OFF meaning they open or close the circuit depending on the function. Most can be jumped temporarily to test the function.

Well thanks for all your help. I pulled, inspected & cleaned the thermistor and still had not resolved the issue. Because of the loud rumble of exhaust & the smell I had a hunch it may be the air/gas mix do I opened the control valve & made a slight adjustment.. It worked !! Sound & smell resolved. Heater stayed lit and works great!!

But you have no idea if you are within specs or not? You just made a "slight" adjustment. Without using the proper equipment to measure gas pressure you could be setting yourself up for disaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.