Hayward Aqua Rite Turbo Cell "No Flow" Issue!

Jun 22, 2013
Hey guys, this is my first post on your forums. I've ended up here a lot through Google and you've helped me solve a lot of my problems regarding pools, this one however I haven't seen yet (not this exact situation)!

I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a new flow sensor or not for the Hayward Aqua Rite Turbo Cell. Here's what happened, and what I've done. When we started the pool up this year I noticed the flow sensor cord was completely cut in half. I stripped the wires and put them back together assuming it would be a quick fix, not the case! It looks like it got weed whacked by my brother in law (dumb mistake, he knows nothing about how this pool is running or that wires were on the ground). After I got the wires fixed, I turned on the system and the "no flow" light would now flash instead of staying solid (good sign) and the "Generating" light actually came on after I heard a click after about 30 seconds! I thought all was well, until I noticed someone had installed the whole cell backwards (the arrow on the flow sensor was pointing against the flow). This raises the question, why would the system ever allow it to start generating with the flow sensor on backwards? As I think anyone would, I corrected this by dissconnecting the return line from the pump and the pool and reversing them (which makes my return line setup like this; 4 ft hose from pump > flow sensor > cell > shut off valve > 2 ft hose to pool).

After making the switch, I powered back on the system (yes I opened the valves) and now I'm back to a SOLID "no flow" light and letting it sit for a period of time it doesn't ever say "generating" like before when it was BACKWARDS! This would make you think I should leave it the way it was, but it makes no sense if you follow the label with the arrow! So now I'm very confused as to what is causing this to happen (is it the wires I put together, is it a bad sensor that allowed it to somehow operate reversed, or something else). Before anyone asks, no I'm not color blind and yes I put the red wire back to the red and black back to the black haha :)

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope you followed everything I wrote, and excuse any grammar or spelling errors as this was all typed on an iPhone ugh.

Welcome to TFP!

You can unscrew the flow sensor from the tee fitting. Maybe someone had turned it around so it was not aligned with the arrow (pretty odd). There actually should be an arrow on the hex head of the flow sensor as well. Check that it is aligned correctly.

Sorry for the delayed reply. It is on the correct way, just doesn't want to work. I decided to go ahead and buy a replacement flow switch assembly (without the tee) and hope that it starts working again. I found it on Amazon for $50, much cheaper than our local pool store and even cheaper than the links I've seen people post on here for the same flow switch! Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030E3US2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.