Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots of air bubbles in the return...

1. Back To Top    #1

Lots of air bubbles in the return...

I have recently replaced my pump with the 1.5 hp utilitech pump sold at Lowes and it always requires me to "prime" the pump by removing the cover to my waste basket and sticking the garden hose in it to add water. When I turn my pump on it will suck the water out of the skimmer line. Sometimes it will be enough water to give the pump enough pressure to circulate the water it should and sometimes it doesn't, requiring more patience and eventually the pump will prime. After about 20 minutes of operation air bubbles start to come out of the return.

Before I remove the pump and take it back to lowes I am going to replace the valves for the vacuum and the skimmer lines in the hopes of resolving my air bubble issues. I was wondering if putting a check valve somewhere in the skimmer line could prevent me from having to add additional water to get the pump to operate without any additional help from the garden hose. Should I just take the pump back to the store and go get a "legitimate" pump from a pool dealer?
    John
    Sylvester, GA
    33K, IG, Sand, Hayward Pro Series Model #S244T, 1.5hp single speed, unknown install date, polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots of air bubbles in the return...

Are you sure the pump you bought is a self-priming pump that can be installed above the water level and not an above ground pump that would sit below the water level and automatically prime?

If it is, then it sounds like you have a suction side leak that is allowing air into the system and not letting the pump prime.

Lowes site is down so I can not check.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump is advertised as a self priming pump, however I have yet to see it prime efficiently on a regular basis.

I was not able to find the pump on the lowes web site, but this is it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Utilitech-1 ... 1116914149

What about the check valve, is that something that I should consider?
    John
    Sylvester, GA
    33K, IG, Sand, Hayward Pro Series Model #S244T, 1.5hp single speed, unknown install date, polaris

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues will be solved.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School