Radio Controlled Subs and a kid in a cast

Lowarea

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
upstate NY - Horseheads
Life threw my 6yr old son a curve last week when on the first day of summer vacation he broke is forearm...add to that the fact that this is our first summer in a our recently purchased home with a ig pool. The pool is ready thanks to TFP, but he's largely sidelined because of the cast.

We want to buy him a RC Submarine to play with in the pool. Does anyone out there have any suggestions/recommendations. I've done a bunch of google searches but info is sketchy. There seem to be plenty of cheapies out there with horrible reviews. The pool is 8' deep.

Any other suggestions for helping a 6yo with a cast enjoy the pool?

Not sure about the sub, but have you spoken with his doc about getting a cast he can use in the water?
Our son broke his arm when he was around 8 and they didn't have the kind of cast material we needed, they gave (sold)us a bag like thing that actually worked. It sealed around his upper arm like a dry suit. He showered with it and went on the Jetski and floated in the lake.

Double up a heavy duty trash bag and break out some duck tape. Get as much air out of the bag as possible, don't tape tightly to the arm as you don't want to cut off circulation, rely on the tape for the seal. Happy swimming!

I know in our area ~ the boy who stays with the lady my daughter stays with before school just broke his hand.
They were treated at Pittsburgh Children's Hospital.
Children's Hospital did not have a water cast, but as it was the weekend before summer vacation they directed the family down the street where they purchased a cast for his arm that the child can swim & shower with for the duration of wearing. They purchased the cast at that location and walked back to Children's for it to be put on. It requires no bag or protection ~ he just jumps in and swims, it can be completely submerged. I was amazed because when my oldest son broke his arm, that technology did not exist, he then broke his ankle several years later we had a "water cast" that he could get sprinkles of water on but he couldn't use the pool or bathe and get it "wet" ~ we still had to bag for the shower (pool wasn't open during this break). Now though everything has changed once again and they do apply casts that a person can swim / bathe / waterpark with, at their leisure, that requires no bagging or special care. If he is going to be casted for awhile it might be something to look into for him.

I know they sell rc hovercrafts that look fun. If you had two of them you could set up a floating obstacle course and have races. Only having one of anything I don't think would be as much fun because the kid is going to have to watch others play in the pool while he is on the deck ~ with two and some creative floats in the water to navigate around someone could hang on the deck with him and race.

I would call around though for the new water casts though. From experience with my son and his arm during pool season, it was difficult to keep the thing dry no matter how many precautions we took.

Have you thought about getting r/c electric boats instead of a sub? You can get little ones that run great in a pool and if you can get a couple you can set up races too.
IMO subs are only cool if you go all out on them and you'd be talking about dropping a lot of money by that point in time.

The hovercraft idea is a good one too - they're cool.

The boats would need to be small though, my neighbor has 2 he runs in his pool that ran him about $50/ea, they're great and can turn on a dime.

My 4 year old drives this http://www.target.com/p/wakestars-remot ... 7AodC0cADQ

drives it very well in fact. It eats batteries, and the inside takes on water which i dump out periodically while he's running it. It's still going after 1 month. Reviews for all cheap R/C boats are terrible. I finally just said screw it and bought this cheepie. It was this one or a tugboat i choose between, they have rounded fronts as to not damage our pool liner, most boats had a pointy nose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.