So I finally got around to looking at the salt water generator. We got our pool from my wife's grandmother who wasn't well equipped to maintain the pool. After a successful battle with an algae bloom from residual algae in the pool when we got it, I've decided to take a look at the SWG. Actually I've been putting this off because the was what looked to be several different substances inside the unit. Tonight I began the process of tearing it all apart, identifying substances, and cleaning said substances. From what I can tell they were some sort of scale, either salt crystals or calcium (my hunch is the former, but I don't know). The other was plain ole rust. And in some of the crevasses there was a slimy substance which may have been some sort of algae. Now that I have it all cleaned up (see the pics below), I have a few questions.
1) It looks as though some of the electrical components got hot. I assume because of the large amount of scale increasing the resistance. Is this sort of scale normal? Is there any necessary routine cleaning needed?
2) It seems as though I must have lost an O-ring in the process. After I got everything cleaned up and put back together I noticed that there was a slow leak around where the copper bars are inserted. I never noticed the O-ring when I was tearing it out, but I can't seem to get it to seal, and everything else has a O-ring. Does any one have one of these they could look at, or have any experience with it? Also does anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement one, or some other method of sealing it?