Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris pressure leak under deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris pressure leak under deck

I'd welcome some advice on my situation on my 20x40' in-ground vinyl pool.

We have a ~20-year old Polaris 280 that keeps the pool clean. We've detected a major water leak in the underground pressure line. I had the same line repaired twice about 4 years ago for about $2000. The repair involved lots of manual digging and identified tree roots as the cause. Subsequent tree removal was another $2000.

Ignoring cost, the right thing to do seems to be to replace the entire run of line from booster to inlet. That line runs under at least 8 feet of concrete. (prior repair replaced partial line until the edge of concrete). I imagine that's another $2k, and afterwards, the new concrete won't match the old.

Sooo... Do I just plug that line and use a different type of cleaner, like an electrically powered unit? Or do I run an "over-the-deck" kit for the Polaris? I find the over-deck kits for sale online, but no explanation for what they are or how they are installed.

I would appreciate any input or advice.
    25,000 Gallon 20x40 in-ground vinyl lined pool circa 1980.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Polaris pressure leak under deck

My personal opinion would be to abandon the existing line and either go with a different type cleaner or go with the above deck line. I'd lean towards a different type cleaner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

New Jersey

Buy a robot and cap the pressure line.
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Flintstone, GA USA

I agree with Rescue30. It is going to cost you more to fix the existing line than it will to buy a top of the line cleaner.

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Toronto, Ont

Plug the line and buy a top line robotic cleaner. You will not miss the Polaris. And you will still be ahead vs the cost of repairing the line.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, thanks everyone! It's unanimous. Enough with the Polaris repairs. Time to shop for a new type of robot. I will look back through this forum for product recommendations.

Thanks a lot for all the input.
    25,000 Gallon 20x40 in-ground vinyl lined pool circa 1980.