Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: recommend a good bromine float?

1. Back To Top    #1

recommend a good bromine float?

Gonna try the 3 step bromine. I pretty sure I have a grasp on what to do correct me if I've got the wrong idea. Any additions tips or advice would be helpful.

Add sodium bromide, then add my oxidizer (liquid chlorine) And I now have a bromine spa.
    Get a bromine floater and through trial and error try to get it to maintain 4-6ppm.
    Add additional oxidizer (Liquid chlorine) after each soak based on person hours.
    Watch Ph and TA since bromine tabs are acidic and will lower them both

*anyone recommend a good bromine floater? Don't need top of the line but that wal-mart special was well.....felt very "special" in a non quality way.

*Is there any difference in bromine tabs that will make one better to use than an other? From searches and reading there seems to be various tabs with different chemicals/percentages. Want to know what I should look for in a good tab and what to avoid in others.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: converting to bromine, questions and reccomendations

You've got it. As for bromine tabs, you get the pure ones but there are two types -- chlorine/bromine combo (BCDMH) and bromine-only (DBDMH). Some people say they prefer the bromine-only though they are harder to find. They smell different (in the cartridge -- in water, everything becomes bromine). Also remember that if you have an ozonator that it will make bromine from the bromide bank and also oxidize some bather waste so you won't need as much added oxidizer as a result and would likely turn down your floater or perhaps not even need one.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: recommend a good bromine float?

Anyone order their tablets online and suggest a site? anyone suggest a quality float either?

Just started looking, and never looked/priced at stores (dunno who locally even has it at this point. I do see Intheswim and doheny.com have free shipping.

I found one cheaper, but says
    Bactericide - Algaecide - Disinfectant.
    in the fautures list, think I will avoid that one. Sounds like "extra" stuff I don't really want.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump