Attaching solar blanket to straps

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hello folks. Just set up my solar cover reel, and was about to attach the blanket to the straps. Instructions say to attach using the plastic screws and attachment plate. The plastic screws were missing from the kit. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can do a custom job? I would like to get this completed by the weekend, so I don't want to wait for replacement screws to arrive. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything (though I thought I read a method here before). All suggestions welcome!! :) Thanks.

GC

If you have anything like an ACE Hardware or a mom&pop type hardware store you could take the part the screws are supposed to go in and see if they have plastic or nylon screws that would fit. If the part is too big to cart around you could measure the screw holes and take a picture with you.

On mine there were no screws. The two halve of the attachment plates just snap together with the solar cover between.

Yes, I am very pleased with mine. I looked at a few different ones that friends own, and I would choose mine if I had to buy again. But this is the first season, so I can't comment on longevity. Perhaps it will fall apart next year! But I doubt it. It seems very sturdy and well built.

I'm looking at the pictures of the reel and installation instructions but still have a question. It looks like in the pictures that the piece with the pin can be removed from the base so that when the reel is removed, there is nothing really sticking up. Not just the pin, but the piece that the pin goes in. Looks to me like it slides away from the pool and out of the base. Is this correct? Also, I hate the idea of putting holes in the pool rail. Does it feel at all like it could cause the rail to crack?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same mounting bracket on my reel (maybe the same reel?) as shown here:
S5220_f.jpg

That one does not show the "sliding bracket" that was shown in the ebay link above. Mine is attached to my pool rail as shown. By the way, I have had a great experience with this style reel centered on my 21' round agp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.