Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand filter

Not sure where to start...

We got the new sand filter this year. The pool had been left out, but drained and covered up over the winter. (Indiana) I installed the pump including the plunger valve/strainer connectors. These plunger valves include the vacuum release valve... (which I think is the problem)

Long story short, the pump will run for a bit and then loose suction. When this happens the water level in the pumps strainer basket drops. I will have to shut everything off and open the strainer basket, refill with water and restart the pump. Then all is fine. For a little bit.

This keeps happening over and over.... If I hook up the vacuum hose, it doesn't take long at all before I loose suction....

Driving me insane, and of coarse the girlfriend is super impatient! I have a feeling the vacuum release valves are opening and sucking in air...

Not sure what to do. If I need to supply more information please advise. Thanks in advance.
    Dennis in Central Indiana
    Pool owner for 4 seasons. 18 x 52 (7000 gallons) Intex Metal Frame pool. Hayward S210T93S Sand Filter and Pump (1 1/2 HP) w/ in wall skimmer. Taylor K2006 test kit w/speed stir.
    What is TFPC? Pool School Chlorine/CYA Chart Pool Math Recommended Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand fi

Welcome to tfp, dkimble

It does sound like a suction side leak. If your skimmer is pulling in air that could also be a problem. Also, lubricating the o-ring on your pump basket cover might help since leaks there are common.

It could be the valves, most reports on here suggest they are not great. Maybe take a look at this thread if you have the "new" intex style valves: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-i...ve-t59205.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand fi

Thanks for the reply. The seal on the skimmer lid is good. I removed the valves completely, and connected the hoses directly to the pool, thus bypassing the vacuum valves that are built in.

Same problem... Soon after connecting the vacuum hose to the skimmer I loose suction. I can run the pump all day and everything is fine so long as I don't connect the vacuum hose. I am stumped at this point. Extremely frustrated.
    Dennis in Central Indiana
    Pool owner for 4 seasons. 18 x 52 (7000 gallons) Intex Metal Frame pool. Hayward S210T93S Sand Filter and Pump (1 1/2 HP) w/ in wall skimmer. Taylor K2006 test kit w/speed stir.
    What is TFPC? Pool School Chlorine/CYA Chart Pool Math Recommended Test Kits