Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool bottom products

1. Back To Top    #1

pool bottom products

Hey there fellow pool fans!! We are getting going on out above ground pool project, and have a question about using some sort of protective bottom...

I am wondering if I could use laminate flooring underlay under my (polygroup) ultra frame rectangle pool?

We are getting the ground dug out a bit and properly leveled, I want a smooth bottom for ease of cleaning and the nice feel on the feet

Otherwise what have you used? Sand? Gorrila or happy feet?
    13 x 24' x52" ultra frame pool (still in the box)
    Going to be set in 2.5' hole with deck at rail height sourounding entirely
    Cartridge filter ( we will see how that goes for one season)
    Natural gas heater and solar cover
    Plan to use bbb method! Yay!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool bottom products

Quite a few here have gone the expense of 1/2" or thicker extruded foam insulation panels, gorilla taped at the seams. All who have done this have reported great feel to the pool bottom.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!
    13 x 24' x52" ultra frame pool (still in the box)
    Going to be set in 2.5' hole with deck at rail height sourounding entirely
    Cartridge filter ( we will see how that goes for one season)
    Natural gas heater and solar cover
    Plan to use bbb method! Yay!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely don't let any pool salesman tell you that the guys do a terrific job with sand and it will save you $. Not sure why he wanted me to spend less, maybe so I would like him and always buy chemicals there.

He was right, they did a great job. I didn't see the entire process, but I believe they made the base using sand. Season 4 and there are dips and wrinkles, although they're not terrible and some roots can't be blamed on them. But a smooth softer bottom would have been ideal, especially at $200, even a bit more would have been acceptable.

My biggest problem is that my parents had an in-ground when I was young and I've been wanting another one ever since we moved.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]