Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening a brown pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening a brown pool.

Okay...so im newish to BBB method. Converted last summer from baqua.

Opening numbers:

pH: 8.2
    FC: 0
    CC: 1
    CH: 180
    TA: 180
    Cya: 0

So added cya and muratic acid and bleach. Changed from brown to cloudy blue. Lots of vaccum brush backwash.

4th day of non stop pump running to filter. Old motor died new one got here a few days ago.

Today early am:

FC: 14.5
    CC: 1
    CYA: 30
    TA:180
    CH:180
    PH: 7.5

Just now:

FC: 12.5
    CC: 0.5

Still cloudy....

Two questions.
    1. Safe for kids to swim? Cant see the bottom, however...I think its pretty clean...I've been vacuuming a lot without any noticable debris.

2. Do just keep on with the shocking process, brushing, etc...till it clears? (Obviously not gonna increase FC to shock levels till after kids done swimming if they go.)

I know I'm close to shock level for my cya now...but not quite there.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

18ft Round Intex Metal Frame, 7000gal, 3/4HP pump, 100lb sand filter, TF-100 Test Kit, through the wall skimmer, Baqua convert...now BBB all the way. :)

Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), Weber One Touch gold. (I love smoky meat) :) Saving my $$ for a Big Green Egg.

Things I use daily:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Open8ng a brown pool.

No one should swim if you can't see the bottom. It is impossible to save someone who is drowning if you can't see where they are in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Opening a brown pool.

I guess I should have been specific. I can tell if there us a pile of dirt in the bottom. Im quite certain I could see anyone in the pool.

Im more concerned about the chemical levels, which I think should be okay.

I do appreciate your comment and understand the concern over clarity.

[Edit] After much thought I realize you were right JasonLion. I sometimes realize that the answer is looking me in the face. No swimming to the pool is clear keep on shocking till I get the job done. Sometimes I tend to succumb to the pressure from my family to swim. [end edit]

18ft Round Intex Metal Frame, 7000gal, 3/4HP pump, 100lb sand filter, TF-100 Test Kit, through the wall skimmer, Baqua convert...now BBB all the way. :)

Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), Weber One Touch gold. (I love smoky meat) :) Saving my $$ for a Big Green Egg.

Things I use daily: