adding DE to a sand filter question

Jul 14, 2012
Cleveland, OH
so i tried this last year and it worked really well.

i started the BBB method this year and got my pool sparkling clear but noticed alot of dirt on the pool floor. i would sweep and came back the next day and it seemed like my filter didn't catch anything and psi didn't raise a bit. i just added DE again and i am about 6 psi above normal. i am about to back wash and was wondering if i can add more DE or is there a limit to the amount added to the sand filter?

We recommend adding enough to raise your psi by one or two on a clean filter. If you added DE to an otherwise non-backwashed filter, that could be causing your pressure rise by 6.

woodyp said:
We recommend adding enough to raise your psi by one or two on a clean filter. If you added DE to an otherwise non-backwashed filter, that could be causing your pressure rise by 6.

filter was backwashed before i added the DE. i found my recommended amount last year when i added 1/4 cup at a time, so i added the whole amount this time around and it was catching alot of dirt and grime.

just making sure i can do it again if i need to.

also if i have to keep putting DE in a sand filter doesn't that negate the fact of having a sand filter?

I usually only add a DE alternative when I am in the process of clearing my pool, it really does help the sand filter the finer particles. After I achieve sparkly conditions, I just let the sand filter do it's thing and that is usually enough, since I leave my filter run all the time during the swimming season. I still get some fine dirt on my floor every day, but I have attributed that to the many trees I have surrounding my pool and have learned to live with it. :)

A sand filter will do the work itself, just can take longer to catch some of the smaller particles. I use DE when I'm having trouble getting it quite as sparkly as I like... Like this spring I opened to green. Got the water clear and sparkly, just wasn't as sparkly as last year and was tired of waiting. We had lots of pollen this spring too... it even visibly collected on our cars. Adding a little DE helped to collect the finer stuff the sand was taking it's sweet time catching.

Suziqzer said:
A sand filter will do the work itself, just can take longer to catch some of the smaller particles. I use DE when I'm having trouble getting it quite as sparkly as I like... Like this spring I opened to green. Got the water clear and sparkly, just wasn't as sparkly as last year and was tired of waiting. We had lots of pollen this spring too... it even visibly collected on our cars. Adding a little DE helped to collect the finer stuff the sand was taking it's sweet time catching.

yeah sounds like how mine looked when we opened. got it crystal clear using the BBB method(first year doing this) but thought it could be a little bit cleaner.

i opened up a swamp because last year about midway through the year our pump died. by the time we got a new one the pool had gotten really bad so i kept adding chlorine by way of 3" tabs and didn't realize i was adding CYA. my CYA was through the roof so i just closed early in frustration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.