Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding DE to a sand filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

adding DE to a sand filter question

so i tried this last year and it worked really well.

i started the BBB method this year and got my pool sparkling clear but noticed alot of dirt on the pool floor. i would sweep and came back the next day and it seemed like my filter didn't catch anything and psi didn't raise a bit. i just added DE again and i am about 6 psi above normal. i am about to back wash and was wondering if i can add more DE or is there a limit to the amount added to the sand filter?
    27,000 gal. vinyl inground.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump
    Triton II TR-100 sand filter
    Hayward C-500CF chemical feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding DE to a sand filter question

You will lose any DE that you put in when you backwash, so you will need to add some more when you have finished.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

We recommend adding enough to raise your psi by one or two on a clean filter. If you added DE to an otherwise non-backwashed filter, that could be causing your pressure rise by 6.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    We recommend adding enough to raise your psi by one or two on a clean filter. If you added DE to an otherwise non-backwashed filter, that could be causing your pressure rise by 6.

filter was backwashed before i added the DE. i found my recommended amount last year when i added 1/4 cup at a time, so i added the whole amount this time around and it was catching alot of dirt and grime.

just making sure i can do it again if i need to.

also if i have to keep putting DE in a sand filter doesn't that negate the fact of having a sand filter?
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I usually only add a DE alternative when I am in the process of clearing my pool, it really does help the sand filter the finer particles. After I achieve sparkly conditions, I just let the sand filter do it's thing and that is usually enough, since I leave my filter run all the time during the swimming season. I still get some fine dirt on my floor every day, but I have attributed that to the many trees I have surrounding my pool and have learned to live with it.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

A sand filter will do the work itself, just can take longer to catch some of the smaller particles. I use DE when I'm having trouble getting it quite as sparkly as I like... Like this spring I opened to green. Got the water clear and sparkly, just wasn't as sparkly as last year and was tired of waiting. We had lots of pollen this spring too... it even visibly collected on our cars. Adding a little DE helped to collect the finer stuff the sand was taking it's sweet time catching.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Sand filters are the WORST at trying to catch fine particles. They are the best in ease of maintenance. Everything is a tradeoff! Keep using your DE if you like. (I do).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    A sand filter will do the work itself, just can take longer to catch some of the smaller particles. I use DE when I'm having trouble getting it quite as sparkly as I like... Like this spring I opened to green. Got the water clear and sparkly, just wasn't as sparkly as last year and was tired of waiting. We had lots of pollen this spring too... it even visibly collected on our cars. Adding a little DE helped to collect the finer stuff the sand was taking it's sweet time catching.
    yeah sounds like how mine looked when we opened. got it crystal clear using the BBB method(first year doing this) but thought it could be a little bit cleaner.

i opened up a swamp because last year about midway through the year our pump died. by the time we got a new one the pool had gotten really bad so i kept adding chlorine by way of 3" tabs and didn't realize i was adding CYA. my CYA was through the roof so i just closed early in frustration.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump