Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushing stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Brushing stains

Well I finally got the water clear, and now I can see all the stains! I've been scrubbing these with my standard nylon bristle brush and making no progress. Could these stains be live algae? Should I try a wire bristle brush? Can I damage the surface by brushing too much or too hard? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40K gallon plaster, S8M150 sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter, Paramount infloor cleaning system with 9 port and debris canister, Pentair pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brushing stains

Don't use wire on that vinyl liner!

That could be calcium scale, metal stains, or organic staining.

Let's try to narrow things down. Does it feel rough? Have you ever used any miracle-pool-treatment-mineral non-chlorine-ultra-safe-overpriced system? Any algaecides?

Can you post a full set of test results?

Finally, if you get ahold of a trichlor puck and set it on the stain for a few minutes, does it lighten? If not, find a dark stain on the steps and set a plain Vitamin C tablet on it and see if it leaves a clean spot behind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry for slacking on the response time.

I was pretty sure it was a concrete pool. Can you tell it's vinyl from the pictures? If it is concrete can I wire brush it? All of the surface feels rough.

I've had the house for about a year and it wasn't opened last summer. I've used only bleach, dichlor, trichlor, and floc. There is a panel for a "Healthcare" system but it's disconnected (looks to have been for a while).

The vitamin C test didn't seem to do much, nor did the trichlor puck.

I'm shocking right now, but I'll get the results up when the FC level comes down. Last check everything was in range.
    40K gallon plaster, S8M150 sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter, Paramount infloor cleaning system with 9 port and debris canister, Pentair pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I was pretty sure it was a concrete pool. Can you tell it's vinyl from the pictures? If it is concrete can I wire brush it? All of the surface feels rough.
    Correct brushes:
    Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anyting other than a nylon brush
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure what Richard was thinking a few weeks ago ... yours is certainly a plaster pool and using a combo brush would be fine.

Since the trichlor and vitamin C did not do anything, it is likely to be calcium scaling ... and Richard is the resident expert on dealing with that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

6. Back To Top    #6

Great I will give that a shot. Any words of warning? Is it possible to do damage by brushing too much?

7. Back To Top    #7

Not really if the plaster is over a year old.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL